Moon Light World Map
The map below shows where the Moon is visible from the Earth, depending on weather conditions and moon phases.
The white dot symbolizes the position of the Moon, and the yellow sun symbolizes the position of the sun.
Change time and date
|< 4 weeks||4 weeks >||March equinox|
|< 1 day||1 day >||June solstice|
|< 12 hours||12 hours >||September equinox|
|< 6 hours||6 hours >||December solstice|
|< 1 hour||1 hour >||Now/Current time|
|< 10 minutes||10 minutes >|
- The bright part of the map shows where the moon is over the horizon on Monday, May 7, 2012 at 10:44:00 UTC.
- The Sun's position is marked with this symbol: . At this location, the Sun will be at its zenith (directly overhead) in relation to an observer.
- The Moon's position is marked with this symbol: . At this location, the Moon will be at its zenith in relation to an observer. Note that the symbol is not showing the current phase of the Moon.
Fraction of moon illuminated: 97%
|Previous phase||Full Moon||Sunday, May 6, 2012 at 3:35 AM|
|Next phase||Third Quarter||Saturday, May 12, 2012 at 9:47 PM|
Position of the Moon
On Monday, May 7, 2012 at 10:44:00 UTC the Moon is at its zenith at
The ground speed of the movement is currently 414.37 meters/second, 1491.7 km/hour, 926.9 miles/hour or 805.5 knots. The table below shows the Moon position compared to the time and date above:
|Time||Longitude difference||Latitude difference||Total|
|1 minute||0° 14' 21.9"||15.45 mi||west||0° 00' 03.1"||0.06 mi||south||15.45 mi|
|1 hour||14° 22' 00.4"||926.60 mi||west||0° 03' 06.4"||3.56 mi||south||926.44 mi|
|24 hours||15° 07' 57.1"||975.95 mi||east||0° 29' 32.1"||33.87 mi||south||974.90 mi|
Locations with the moon near zenith
The following table shows 10 locations with moon near zenith position in the sky.
|Papeete||Mon 12:44 AM||789 km||490 miles||426 nm||WNW|
|Gambier Islands||Mon 1:44 AM||870 km||541 miles||470 nm||ESE|
|Adamstown||Mon 2:44 AM||1400 km||870 miles||756 nm||ESE|
|Rarotonga||Mon 12:44 AM||1728 km||1074 miles||933 nm||W|
|Alofi||Sun 11:44 PM||2808 km||1745 miles||1516 nm||W|
|Kiritimati||Tue 12:44 AM||2984 km||1854 miles||1611 nm||NNW|
|Apia||Mon 11:44 PM||3144 km||1953 miles||1697 nm||W|
|Fakaofo||Mon 11:44 PM||3283 km||2040 miles||1772 nm||WNW|
|Nukualofa||Mon 11:44 PM||3325 km||2066 miles||1795 nm||W|
|Easter Island||Mon 4:44 AM||3485 km||2166 miles||1882 nm||ESE|
- Seasons Calculator
- Moon Calculator – Find times for moonrise, moonset and more
- Moon Phase Calculator – Calculate moon phases for any year
- Sunrise Calculator – Find times for sunrise, sunset and more
Related time zone tools
- The World Clock – Current times around the world
- Personal World Clock – Shows just the cities you need
- Meeting Planner – Find a suitable time for an international meeting
- Time Zone Converter – If it is 3 pm in New York, what time is it in Sydney?
- Event Time Announcer/Fixed Time – Show local times worldwide for your event.