Moon Light World Map
The map below shows where the Moon is visible from the Earth, depending on weather conditions and moon phases.
The white dot symbolizes the position of the Moon, and the yellow sun symbolizes the position of the sun.
Change time and date
|< 4 weeks||4 weeks >||March equinox|
|< 1 day||1 day >||June solstice|
|< 12 hours||12 hours >||September equinox|
|< 6 hours||6 hours >||December solstice|
|< 1 hour||1 hour >||Now/Current time|
|< 10 minutes||10 minutes >|
- The bright part of the map shows where the moon is over the horizon on Wednesday, June 20, 2012 at 23:08:00 UTC.
- The Sun's position is marked with this symbol: . At this location, the Sun will be at its zenith (directly overhead) in relation to an observer.
- The Moon's position is marked with this symbol: . At this location, the Moon will be at its zenith in relation to an observer. Note that the symbol is not showing the current phase of the Moon.
The moon is so close to the Sun that it hard to see from earth.
Fraction of moon illuminated: 2%
|Previous phase||New Moon||Tuesday, June 19, 2012 at 3:04 PM|
|Next phase||First Quarter||Wednesday, June 27, 2012 at 3:32 AM|
Position of the Moon
On Wednesday, June 20, 2012 at 23:08:00 UTC the Moon is at its zenith at
The ground speed of the movement is currently 423.64 meters/second, 1525.1 km/hour, 947.7 miles/hour or 823.5 knots. The table below shows the Moon position compared to the time and date above:
|Time||Longitude difference||Latitude difference||Total|
|1 minute||0° 14' 30.2"||15.79 mi||west||0° 00' 05.5"||0.11 mi||south||15.79 mi|
|1 hour||14° 30' 14.3"||947.37 mi||west||0° 05' 34.6"||6.39 mi||south||947.66 mi|
|24 hours||11° 48' 45.4"||771.65 mi||east||2° 39' 32.4"||182.87 mi||south||798.79 mi|
Locations with the moon near zenith
The following table shows 10 locations with moon near zenith position in the sky.
|Hilo||Wed 1:08 PM||475 km||295 miles||257 nm||W|
|Wailuku||Wed 1:08 PM||645 km||401 miles||348 nm||WNW|
|Honolulu||Wed 1:08 PM||794 km||493 miles||429 nm||WNW|
|Kiritimati||Thu 1:08 PM||2056 km||1278 miles||1110 nm||SSW|
|Midway||Wed 12:08 PM||2899 km||1801 miles||1565 nm||WNW|
|San Francisco *||Wed 4:08 PM||3414 km||2122 miles||1844 nm||NE|
|Baker Island||Wed 11:08 AM||3524 km||2190 miles||1903 nm||SW|
|Los Angeles *||Wed 4:08 PM||3592 km||2232 miles||1940 nm||NE|
|Fakaofo||Thu 12:08 PM||3890 km||2417 miles||2101 nm||SW|
|Las Vegas *||Wed 4:08 PM||3933 km||2444 miles||2124 nm||NE|
- Seasons Calculator
- Moon Calculator – Find times for moonrise, moonset and more
- Moon Phase Calculator – Calculate moon phases for any year
- Sunrise Calculator – Find times for sunrise, sunset and more
Related time zone tools
- The World Clock – Current times around the world
- Personal World Clock – Shows just the cities you need
- Meeting Planner – Find a suitable time for an international meeting
- Time Zone Converter – If it is 3 pm in New York, what time is it in Sydney?
- Event Time Announcer/Fixed Time – Show local times worldwide for your event.