Moon Light World Map
The map below shows where the Moon is visible from the Earth, depending on weather conditions and moon phases.
The white dot symbolizes the position of the Moon, and the yellow sun symbolizes the position of the sun.
Change time and date
|< 4 weeks||4 weeks >||March equinox|
|< 1 day||1 day >||June solstice|
|< 12 hours||12 hours >||September equinox|
|< 6 hours||6 hours >||December solstice|
|< 1 hour||1 hour >||Now/Current time|
|< 10 minutes||10 minutes >|
- The bright part of the map shows where the moon is over the horizon on Sunday, July 1, 2012 at 11:44:00 UTC.
- The Sun's position is marked with this symbol: . At this location, the Sun will be at its zenith (directly overhead) in relation to an observer.
- The Moon's position is marked with this symbol: . At this location, the Moon will be at its zenith in relation to an observer. Note that the symbol is not showing the current phase of the Moon.
Fraction of moon illuminated: 93%
|Previous phase||First Quarter||Wednesday, June 27, 2012 at 3:32 AM|
|Next phase||Full Moon||Tuesday, July 3, 2012 at 6:53 PM|
Position of the Moon
On Sunday, July 1, 2012 at 11:44:00 UTC the Moon is at its zenith at
The ground speed of the movement is currently 414.25 meters/second, 1491.3 km/hour, 926.7 miles/hour or 805.2 knots. The table below shows the Moon position compared to the time and date above:
|Time||Longitude difference||Latitude difference||Total|
|1 minute||0° 14' 22.7"||15.44 mi||west||0° 00' 02.5"||0.05 mi||south||15.44 mi|
|1 hour||14° 22' 44.8"||926.31 mi||west||0° 02' 24.9"||2.77 mi||south||926.19 mi|
|24 hours||14° 57' 21.2"||963.44 mi||east||0° 14' 27.2"||16.57 mi||south||962.79 mi|
Locations with the moon near zenith
The following table shows 10 locations with moon near zenith position in the sky.
|Mackay||Sun 9:44 PM||167 km||104 miles||90 nm||W|
|Lindeman Island||Sun 9:44 PM||207 km||129 miles||112 nm||WNW|
|Rockhampton||Sun 9:44 PM||224 km||139 miles||121 nm||S|
|Brisbane||Sun 9:44 PM||713 km||443 miles||385 nm||SSE|
|Cairns||Sun 9:44 PM||720 km||447 miles||389 nm||NW|
|Port Moresby||Sun 9:44 PM||1374 km||854 miles||742 nm||NNW|
|Sydney||Sun 9:44 PM||1385 km||861 miles||748 nm||S|
|Canberra||Sun 9:44 PM||1550 km||963 miles||837 nm||S|
|Honiara||Sun 10:44 PM||1647 km||1023 miles||889 nm||NE|
|Alice Springs||Sun 9:14 PM||1757 km||1092 miles||949 nm||WSW|
- Seasons Calculator
- Moon Calculator – Find times for moonrise, moonset and more
- Moon Phase Calculator – Calculate moon phases for any year
- Sunrise Calculator – Find times for sunrise, sunset and more
Related time zone tools
- The World Clock – Current times around the world
- Personal World Clock – Shows just the cities you need
- Meeting Planner – Find a suitable time for an international meeting
- Time Zone Converter – If it is 3 pm in New York, what time is it in Sydney?
- Event Time Announcer/Fixed Time – Show local times worldwide for your event.