Moon Light World Map
The map below shows where the Moon is visible from the Earth, depending on weather conditions and moon phases.
The white dot symbolizes the position of the Moon, and the yellow sun symbolizes the position of the sun.
Change time and date
|< 4 weeks||4 weeks >||March equinox|
|< 1 day||1 day >||June solstice|
|< 12 hours||12 hours >||September equinox|
|< 6 hours||6 hours >||December solstice|
|< 1 hour||1 hour >||Now/Current time|
|< 10 minutes||10 minutes >|
- The bright part of the map shows where the moon is over the horizon on Saturday, August 11, 2012 at 17:26:00 UTC.
- The Sun's position is marked with this symbol: . At this location, the Sun will be at its zenith (directly overhead) in relation to an observer.
- The Moon's position is marked with this symbol: . At this location, the Moon will be at its zenith in relation to an observer. Note that the symbol is not showing the current phase of the Moon.
Fraction of moon illuminated: 32%
|Previous phase||Third Quarter||Thursday, August 9, 2012 at 6:55 PM|
|Next phase||New Moon||Friday, August 17, 2012 at 3:55 PM|
Position of the Moon
On Saturday, August 11, 2012 at 17:26:00 UTC the Moon is at its zenith at
The ground speed of the movement is currently 418.28 meters/second, 1505.8 km/hour, 935.7 miles/hour or 813.1 knots. The table below shows the Moon position compared to the time and date above:
|Time||Longitude difference||Latitude difference||Total|
|1 minute||0° 14' 30.4"||15.60 mi||west||0° 00' 01.7"||0.03 mi||north||15.60 mi|
|1 hour||14° 30' 31.4"||935.38 mi||west||0° 01' 36.4"||1.85 mi||north||935.29 mi|
|24 hours||11° 53' 12.8"||766.44 mi||east||0° 10' 37.5"||12.18 mi||north||766.07 mi|
Locations with the moon near zenith
The following table shows 10 locations with moon near zenith position in the sky.
|Hilo||Sat 7:26 AM||250 km||155 miles||135 nm||SW|
|Wailuku||Sat 7:26 AM||329 km||204 miles||178 nm||W|
|Honolulu||Sat 7:26 AM||466 km||290 miles||252 nm||W|
|Kiritimati||Sun 7:26 AM||2189 km||1360 miles||1182 nm||SSW|
|Midway||Sat 6:26 AM||2542 km||1580 miles||1373 nm||WNW|
|Baker Island||Sat 5:26 AM||3427 km||2129 miles||1850 nm||SW|
|San Francisco *||Sat 10:26 AM||3487 km||2167 miles||1883 nm||NE|
|Los Angeles *||Sat 10:26 AM||3719 km||2311 miles||2008 nm||ENE|
|Unalaska *||Sat 9:26 AM||3790 km||2355 miles||2046 nm||NNW|
|Fakaofo||Sun 6:26 AM||3912 km||2431 miles||2112 nm||SSW|
- Seasons Calculator
- Moon Calculator – Find times for moonrise, moonset and more
- Moon Phase Calculator – Calculate moon phases for any year
- Sunrise Calculator – Find times for sunrise, sunset and more
Related time zone tools
- The World Clock – Current times around the world
- Personal World Clock – Shows just the cities you need
- Meeting Planner – Find a suitable time for an international meeting
- Time Zone Converter – If it is 3 pm in New York, what time is it in Sydney?
- Event Time Announcer/Fixed Time – Show local times worldwide for your event.