Moon Light World Map
The map below shows where the Moon is visible from the Earth, depending on weather conditions and moon phases.
The white dot symbolizes the position of the Moon, and the yellow sun symbolizes the position of the sun.
Change time and date
|< 4 weeks||4 weeks >||March equinox|
|< 1 day||1 day >||June solstice|
|< 12 hours||12 hours >||September equinox|
|< 6 hours||6 hours >||December solstice|
|< 1 hour||1 hour >||Now/Current time|
|< 10 minutes||10 minutes >|
- The bright part of the map shows where the moon is over the horizon on Saturday, August 11, 2012 at 18:36:00 UTC.
- The Sun's position is marked with this symbol: . At this location, the Sun will be at its zenith (directly overhead) in relation to an observer.
- The Moon's position is marked with this symbol: . At this location, the Moon will be at its zenith in relation to an observer. Note that the symbol is not showing the current phase of the Moon.
Fraction of moon illuminated: 32%
|Previous phase||Third Quarter||Thursday, August 9, 2012 at 6:55 PM|
|Next phase||New Moon||Friday, August 17, 2012 at 3:55 PM|
Position of the Moon
On Saturday, August 11, 2012 at 18:36:00 UTC the Moon is at its zenith at
The ground speed of the movement is currently 418.17 meters/second, 1505.4 km/hour, 935.4 miles/hour or 812.9 knots. The table below shows the Moon position compared to the time and date above:
|Time||Longitude difference||Latitude difference||Total|
|1 minute||0° 14' 30.4"||15.59 mi||west||0° 00' 01.5"||0.03 mi||north||15.59 mi|
|1 hour||14° 30' 29.8"||935.08 mi||west||0° 01' 29.5"||1.71 mi||north||935.01 mi|
|24 hours||11° 53' 45.3"||766.80 mi||east||0° 07' 45.7"||8.90 mi||north||766.52 mi|
Locations with the moon near zenith
The following table shows 10 locations with moon near zenith position in the sky.
|Midway||Sat 7:36 AM||1048 km||651 miles||566 nm||NW|
|Honolulu||Sat 8:36 AM||1290 km||801 miles||696 nm||E|
|Wake Island||Sun 6:36 AM||2417 km||1502 miles||1305 nm||W|
|Baker Island||Sat 6:36 AM||2430 km||1510 miles||1312 nm||SSW|
|Majuro||Sun 6:36 AM||2533 km||1574 miles||1368 nm||SW|
|Kiritimati||Sun 8:36 AM||2568 km||1596 miles||1387 nm||SE|
|Tarawa||Sun 6:36 AM||2851 km||1771 miles||1539 nm||SW|
|Fakaofo||Sun 7:36 AM||3394 km||2109 miles||1832 nm||S|
|Adak *||Sat 9:36 AM||3437 km||2135 miles||1856 nm||N|
|Yaren||Sun 6:36 AM||3461 km||2150 miles||1869 nm||SW|
- Seasons Calculator
- Moon Calculator – Find times for moonrise, moonset and more
- Moon Phase Calculator – Calculate moon phases for any year
- Sunrise Calculator – Find times for sunrise, sunset and more
Related time zone tools
- The World Clock – Current times around the world
- Personal World Clock – Shows just the cities you need
- Meeting Planner – Find a suitable time for an international meeting
- Time Zone Converter – If it is 3 pm in New York, what time is it in Sydney?
- Event Time Announcer/Fixed Time – Show local times worldwide for your event.