Moon Light World Map
The map below shows where the Moon is visible from the Earth, depending on weather conditions and moon phases.
The white dot symbolizes the position of the Moon, and the yellow sun symbolizes the position of the sun.
Change time and date
|< 4 weeks||4 weeks >||March equinox|
|< 1 day||1 day >||June solstice|
|< 12 hours||12 hours >||September equinox|
|< 6 hours||6 hours >||December solstice|
|< 1 hour||1 hour >||Now/Current time|
|< 10 minutes||10 minutes >|
- The bright part of the map shows where the moon is over the horizon on Friday, August 17, 2012 at 14:28:00 UTC.
- The Sun's position is marked with this symbol: . At this location, the Sun will be at its zenith (directly overhead) in relation to an observer.
- The Moon's position is marked with this symbol: . At this location, the Moon will be at its zenith in relation to an observer. Note that the symbol is not showing the current phase of the Moon.
The moon is so close to the Sun that it is probably impossible to see from earth
Fraction of moon illuminated: 0%
|Previous phase||Third Quarter||Thursday, August 9, 2012 at 6:55 PM|
|Next phase||New Moon||Friday, August 17, 2012 at 3:55 PM|
Position of the Moon
On Friday, August 17, 2012 at 14:28:00 UTC the Moon is at its zenith at
The ground speed of the movement is currently 443.57 meters/second, 1596.8 km/hour, 992.2 miles/hour or 862.2 knots. The table below shows the Moon position compared to the time and date above:
|Time||Longitude difference||Latitude difference||Total|
|1 minute||0° 14' 30.6"||16.54 mi||west||0° 00' 11.2"||0.22 mi||south||16.54 mi|
|1 hour||14° 30' 35.2"||992.16 mi||west||0° 11' 17.7"||12.94 mi||south||992.49 mi|
|24 hours||11° 45' 42.0"||804.26 mi||east||4° 43' 35.9"||324.82 mi||south||871.22 mi|
Locations with the moon near zenith
The following table shows 10 locations with moon near zenith position in the sky.
|Fortaleza||Fri 11:28 AM||1378 km||856 miles||744 nm||S|
|Belém||Fri 11:28 AM||1564 km||972 miles||844 nm||SW|
|Cayenne||Fri 11:28 AM||1565 km||972 miles||845 nm||WSW|
|Praia||Fri 1:28 PM||1789 km||1111 miles||966 nm||ENE|
|Paramaribo||Fri 11:28 AM||1848 km||1148 miles||998 nm||W|
|Recife||Fri 11:28 AM||1906 km||1185 miles||1029 nm||SSE|
|Georgetown||Fri 10:28 AM||2158 km||1341 miles||1165 nm||W|
|Bridgetown||Fri 10:28 AM||2338 km||1453 miles||1263 nm||WNW|
|Salvador||Fri 11:28 AM||2398 km||1490 miles||1295 nm||S|
|Dakar||Fri 2:28 PM||2407 km||1496 miles||1300 nm||ENE|
- Seasons Calculator
- Moon Calculator – Find times for moonrise, moonset and more
- Moon Phase Calculator – Calculate moon phases for any year
- Sunrise Calculator – Find times for sunrise, sunset and more
Related time zone tools
- The World Clock – Current times around the world
- Personal World Clock – Shows just the cities you need
- Meeting Planner – Find a suitable time for an international meeting
- Time Zone Converter – If it is 3 pm in New York, what time is it in Sydney?
- Event Time Announcer/Fixed Time – Show local times worldwide for your event.