Moon Light World Map
The map below shows where the Moon is visible from the Earth, depending on weather conditions and moon phases.
The white dot symbolizes the position of the Moon, and the yellow sun symbolizes the position of the sun.
Change time and date
|< 4 weeks||4 weeks >||March equinox|
|< 1 day||1 day >||June solstice|
|< 12 hours||12 hours >||September equinox|
|< 6 hours||6 hours >||December solstice|
|< 1 hour||1 hour >||Now/Current time|
|< 10 minutes||10 minutes >|
- The bright part of the map shows where the moon is over the horizon on Saturday, August 25, 2012 at 08:48:00 UTC.
- The Sun's position is marked with this symbol: . At this location, the Sun will be at its zenith (directly overhead) in relation to an observer.
- The Moon's position is marked with this symbol: . At this location, the Moon will be at its zenith in relation to an observer. Note that the symbol is not showing the current phase of the Moon.
Fraction of moon illuminated: 59%
|Previous phase||First Quarter||Friday, August 24, 2012 at 1:55 PM|
|Next phase||Full Moon||Friday, August 31, 2012 at 2:00 PM|
Position of the Moon
On Saturday, August 25, 2012 at 08:48:00 UTC the Moon is at its zenith at
The ground speed of the movement is currently 415.42 meters/second, 1495.5 km/hour, 929.3 miles/hour or 807.5 knots. The table below shows the Moon position compared to the time and date above:
|Time||Longitude difference||Latitude difference||Total|
|1 minute||0° 14' 24.5"||15.49 mi||west||0° 00' 01.3"||0.03 mi||south||15.49 mi|
|1 hour||14° 24' 33.9"||928.95 mi||west||0° 01' 20.2"||1.53 mi||south||928.88 mi|
|24 hours||14° 09' 07.0"||912.36 mi||east||0° 06' 55.3"||7.94 mi||north||912.75 mi|
Locations with the moon near zenith
The following table shows 10 locations with moon near zenith position in the sky.
|Charters Towers||Sat 6:48 PM||149 km||92 miles||80 nm||NNE|
|Cairns||Sat 6:48 PM||481 km||299 miles||260 nm||N|
|Brisbane||Sat 6:48 PM||1020 km||634 miles||551 nm||SE|
|Alice Springs||Sat 6:18 PM||1236 km||768 miles||667 nm||WSW|
|Port Moresby||Sat 6:48 PM||1318 km||819 miles||712 nm||N|
|Sydney||Sat 6:48 PM||1502 km||933 miles||811 nm||SSE|
|Canberra||Sat 6:48 PM||1592 km||989 miles||859 nm||SSE|
|Adelaide||Sat 6:18 PM||1662 km||1033 miles||898 nm||SSW|
|Melbourne||Sat 6:48 PM||1836 km||1141 miles||991 nm||S|
|Darwin||Sat 6:18 PM||1847 km||1148 miles||997 nm||WNW|
- Seasons Calculator
- Moon Calculator – Find times for moonrise, moonset and more
- Moon Phase Calculator – Calculate moon phases for any year
- Sunrise Calculator – Find times for sunrise, sunset and more
Related time zone tools
- The World Clock – Current times around the world
- Personal World Clock – Shows just the cities you need
- Meeting Planner – Find a suitable time for an international meeting
- Time Zone Converter – If it is 3 pm in New York, what time is it in Sydney?
- Event Time Announcer/Fixed Time – Show local times worldwide for your event.