Moon Light World Map
The map below shows where the Moon is visible from the Earth, depending on weather conditions and moon phases.
The white dot symbolizes the position of the Moon, and the yellow sun symbolizes the position of the sun.
Change time and date
|< 4 weeks||4 weeks >||March equinox|
|< 1 day||1 day >||June solstice|
|< 12 hours||12 hours >||September equinox|
|< 6 hours||6 hours >||December solstice|
|< 1 hour||1 hour >||Now/Current time|
|< 10 minutes||10 minutes >|
- The bright part of the map shows where the moon is over the horizon on Friday, August 31, 2012 at 14:08:00 UTC.
- The Sun's position is marked with this symbol: . At this location, the Sun will be at its zenith (directly overhead) in relation to an observer.
- The Moon's position is marked with this symbol: . At this location, the Moon will be at its zenith in relation to an observer. Note that the symbol is not showing the current phase of the Moon.
Fraction of moon illuminated: 100%
|Previous phase||Full Moon||Friday, August 31, 2012 at 1:59 PM|
|Next phase||Third Quarter||Saturday, September 8, 2012 at 1:16 PM|
Position of the Moon
On Friday, August 31, 2012 at 14:08:00 UTC the Moon is at its zenith at
The ground speed of the movement is currently 448.33 meters/second, 1614.0 km/hour, 1002.9 miles/hour or 871.5 knots. The table below shows the Moon position compared to the time and date above:
|Time||Longitude difference||Latitude difference||Total|
|1 minute||0° 14' 31.6"||16.71 mi||west||0° 00' 11.7"||0.23 mi||north||16.71 mi|
|1 hour||14° 31' 42.2"||1002.81 mi||west||0° 11' 48.1"||13.51 mi||north||1003.02 mi|
|24 hours||11° 09' 47.6"||770.54 mi||east||4° 43' 02.1"||324.12 mi||north||837.03 mi|
Locations with the moon near zenith
The following table shows 10 locations with moon near zenith position in the sky.
|Mount Hagen||Sat 12:08 AM||305 km||190 miles||165 nm||SW|
|Lae||Sat 12:08 AM||350 km||218 miles||189 nm||SSE|
|Jayapura||Fri 11:08 PM||601 km||374 miles||325 nm||WNW|
|Port Moresby||Sat 12:08 AM||647 km||402 miles||349 nm||SSE|
|Buka||Sat 12:08 AM||982 km||610 miles||530 nm||ESE|
|Manokwari||Fri 11:08 PM||1363 km||847 miles||736 nm||WNW|
|Cairns||Sat 12:08 AM||1460 km||907 miles||788 nm||S|
|Honiara||Sat 1:08 AM||1668 km||1037 miles||901 nm||ESE|
|Melekeok||Fri 11:08 PM||1770 km||1100 miles||956 nm||NW|
|Palikir||Sat 1:08 AM||1794 km||1115 miles||969 nm||NE|
- Seasons Calculator
- Moon Calculator – Find times for moonrise, moonset and more
- Moon Phase Calculator – Calculate moon phases for any year
- Sunrise Calculator – Find times for sunrise, sunset and more
Related time zone tools
- The World Clock – Current times around the world
- Personal World Clock – Shows just the cities you need
- Meeting Planner – Find a suitable time for an international meeting
- Time Zone Converter – If it is 3 pm in New York, what time is it in Sydney?
- Event Time Announcer/Fixed Time – Show local times worldwide for your event.