Moon Light World Map
The map below shows where the Moon is visible from the Earth, depending on weather conditions and moon phases.
The white dot symbolizes the position of the Moon, and the yellow sun symbolizes the position of the sun.
Change time and date
|< 4 weeks||4 weeks >||March equinox|
|< 1 day||1 day >||June solstice|
|< 12 hours||12 hours >||September equinox|
|< 6 hours||6 hours >||December solstice|
|< 1 hour||1 hour >||Now/Current time|
|< 10 minutes||10 minutes >|
- The bright part of the map shows where the moon is over the horizon on Saturday, September 1, 2012 at 15:18:00 UTC.
- The Sun's position is marked with this symbol: . At this location, the Sun will be at its zenith (directly overhead) in relation to an observer.
- The Moon's position is marked with this symbol: . At this location, the Moon will be at its zenith in relation to an observer. Note that the symbol is not showing the current phase of the Moon.
Fraction of moon illuminated: 99%
|Previous phase||Full Moon||Friday, August 31, 2012 at 2:00 PM|
|Next phase||Third Quarter||Saturday, September 8, 2012 at 1:17 PM|
Position of the Moon
On Saturday, September 1, 2012 at 15:18:00 UTC the Moon is at its zenith at
The ground speed of the movement is currently 449.58 meters/second, 1618.5 km/hour, 1005.7 miles/hour or 873.9 knots. The table below shows the Moon position compared to the time and date above:
|Time||Longitude difference||Latitude difference||Total|
|1 minute||0° 14' 32.4"||16.76 mi||west||0° 00' 11.6"||0.22 mi||north||16.76 mi|
|1 hour||14° 32' 28.3"||1005.60 mi||west||0° 11' 40.2"||13.36 mi||north||1005.65 mi|
|24 hours||10° 56' 01.0"||756.12 mi||east||4° 33' 38.4"||313.37 mi||north||817.16 mi|
Locations with the moon near zenith
The following table shows 10 locations with moon near zenith position in the sky.
|Jayapura||Sun 12:18 AM||416 km||258 miles||224 nm||S|
|Manokwari||Sun 12:18 AM||748 km||464 miles||404 nm||WSW|
|Melekeok||Sun 12:18 AM||950 km||590 miles||513 nm||NW|
|Port Moresby||Sun 1:18 AM||1396 km||867 miles||754 nm||SSE|
|Hagåtña||Sun 1:18 AM||1437 km||893 miles||776 nm||NNE|
|Manado||Sat 11:18 PM||1738 km||1080 miles||938 nm||W|
|Davao||Sat 11:18 PM||1770 km||1100 miles||956 nm||WNW|
|General Santos||Sat 11:18 PM||1781 km||1107 miles||962 nm||WNW|
|Darwin||Sun 12:48 AM||1848 km||1148 miles||998 nm||SW|
|Gorontalo||Sat 11:18 PM||1937 km||1204 miles||1046 nm||W|
- Seasons Calculator
- Moon Calculator – Find times for moonrise, moonset and more
- Moon Phase Calculator – Calculate moon phases for any year
- Sunrise Calculator – Find times for sunrise, sunset and more
Related time zone tools
- The World Clock – Current times around the world
- Personal World Clock – Shows just the cities you need
- Meeting Planner – Find a suitable time for an international meeting
- Time Zone Converter – If it is 3 pm in New York, what time is it in Sydney?
- Event Time Announcer/Fixed Time – Show local times worldwide for your event.