Moon Light World Map
The map below shows where the Moon is visible from the Earth, depending on weather conditions and moon phases.
The white dot symbolizes the position of the Moon, and the yellow sun symbolizes the position of the sun.
Change time and date
|< 4 weeks||4 weeks >||March equinox|
|< 1 day||1 day >||June solstice|
|< 12 hours||12 hours >||September equinox|
|< 6 hours||6 hours >||December solstice|
|< 1 hour||1 hour >||Now/Current time|
|< 10 minutes||10 minutes >|
- The bright part of the map shows where the moon is over the horizon on Sunday, September 2, 2012 at 03:18:00 UTC.
- The Sun's position is marked with this symbol: . At this location, the Sun will be at its zenith (directly overhead) in relation to an observer.
- The Moon's position is marked with this symbol: . At this location, the Moon will be at its zenith in relation to an observer. Note that the symbol is not showing the current phase of the Moon.
Fraction of moon illuminated: 97%
|Previous phase||Full Moon||Friday, August 31, 2012 at 1:59 PM|
|Next phase||Third Quarter||Saturday, September 8, 2012 at 1:16 PM|
Position of the Moon
On Sunday, September 2, 2012 at 03:18:00 UTC the Moon is at its zenith at
The ground speed of the movement is currently 448.94 meters/second, 1616.2 km/hour, 1004.3 miles/hour or 872.7 knots. The table below shows the Moon position compared to the time and date above:
|Time||Longitude difference||Latitude difference||Total|
|1 minute||0° 14' 32.6"||16.74 mi||west||0° 00' 11.3"||0.22 mi||north||16.74 mi|
|1 hour||14° 32' 41.2"||1004.17 mi||west||0° 11' 24.4"||13.06 mi||north||1004.15 mi|
|24 hours||10° 52' 55.9"||751.31 mi||east||4° 24' 40.7"||303.12 mi||north||807.82 mi|
Locations with the moon near zenith
The following table shows 10 locations with moon near zenith position in the sky.
|Fernando de Noronha||Sun 1:18 AM||849 km||527 miles||458 nm||SSE|
|Fortaleza||Sun 12:18 AM||933 km||580 miles||504 nm||SSW|
|Recife||Sun 12:18 AM||1287 km||800 miles||695 nm||S|
|Belém||Sun 12:18 AM||1668 km||1036 miles||901 nm||WSW|
|Praia||Sun 2:18 AM||1730 km||1075 miles||934 nm||NE|
|Salvador||Sun 12:18 AM||1881 km||1169 miles||1016 nm||SSW|
|Cayenne||Sun 12:18 AM||2004 km||1245 miles||1082 nm||W|
|Dakar||Sun 3:18 AM||2227 km||1384 miles||1202 nm||NE|
|Banjul||Sun 3:18 AM||2240 km||1392 miles||1209 nm||ENE|
|Bissau||Sun 3:18 AM||2263 km||1406 miles||1222 nm||ENE|
- Seasons Calculator
- Moon Calculator – Find times for moonrise, moonset and more
- Moon Phase Calculator – Calculate moon phases for any year
- Sunrise Calculator – Find times for sunrise, sunset and more
Related time zone tools
- The World Clock – Current times around the world
- Personal World Clock – Shows just the cities you need
- Meeting Planner – Find a suitable time for an international meeting
- Time Zone Converter – If it is 3 pm in New York, what time is it in Sydney?
- Event Time Announcer/Fixed Time – Show local times worldwide for your event.