Moon Light World Map
The map below shows where the Moon is visible from the Earth, depending on weather conditions and moon phases.
The white dot symbolizes the position of the Moon, and the yellow sun symbolizes the position of the sun.
Change time and date
|< 4 weeks||4 weeks >||March equinox|
|< 1 day||1 day >||June solstice|
|< 12 hours||12 hours >||September equinox|
|< 6 hours||6 hours >||December solstice|
|< 1 hour||1 hour >||Now/Current time|
|< 10 minutes||10 minutes >|
- The bright part of the map shows where the moon is over the horizon on Friday, September 7, 2012 at 16:36:00 UTC.
- The Sun's position is marked with this symbol: . At this location, the Sun will be at its zenith (directly overhead) in relation to an observer.
- The Moon's position is marked with this symbol: . At this location, the Moon will be at its zenith in relation to an observer. Note that the symbol is not showing the current phase of the Moon.
Fraction of moon illuminated: 58%
|Previous phase||Full Moon||Friday, August 31, 2012 at 2:00 PM|
|Next phase||Third Quarter||Saturday, September 8, 2012 at 1:17 PM|
Position of the Moon
On Friday, September 7, 2012 at 16:36:00 UTC the Moon is at its zenith at
The ground speed of the movement is currently 420.04 meters/second, 1512.1 km/hour, 939.6 miles/hour or 816.5 knots. The table below shows the Moon position compared to the time and date above:
|Time||Longitude difference||Latitude difference||Total|
|1 minute||0° 14' 30.8"||15.66 mi||west||0° 00' 02.5"||0.05 mi||north||15.66 mi|
|1 hour||14° 30' 55.0"||939.27 mi||west||0° 02' 28.2"||2.83 mi||north||939.15 mi|
|24 hours||11° 42' 56.6"||758.20 mi||east||0° 32' 24.8"||37.17 mi||north||757.75 mi|
Locations with the moon near zenith
The following table shows 10 locations with moon near zenith position in the sky.
|Midway||Fri 5:36 AM||1004 km||624 miles||542 nm||NNW|
|Honolulu||Fri 6:36 AM||1452 km||902 miles||784 nm||E|
|Wake Island||Sat 4:36 AM||2258 km||1403 miles||1219 nm||W|
|Baker Island||Fri 4:36 AM||2325 km||1445 miles||1255 nm||SSW|
|Majuro||Sat 4:36 AM||2366 km||1470 miles||1278 nm||SW|
|Kiritimati||Sat 6:36 AM||2611 km||1622 miles||1410 nm||SE|
|Tarawa||Sat 4:36 AM||2698 km||1676 miles||1457 nm||SW|
|Yaren||Sat 4:36 AM||3299 km||2050 miles||1781 nm||SW|
|Fakaofo||Sat 5:36 AM||3327 km||2067 miles||1796 nm||S|
|Funafuti||Sat 4:36 AM||3378 km||2099 miles||1824 nm||SSW|
- Seasons Calculator
- Moon Calculator – Find times for moonrise, moonset and more
- Moon Phase Calculator – Calculate moon phases for any year
- Sunrise Calculator – Find times for sunrise, sunset and more
Related time zone tools
- The World Clock – Current times around the world
- Personal World Clock – Shows just the cities you need
- Meeting Planner – Find a suitable time for an international meeting
- Time Zone Converter – If it is 3 pm in New York, what time is it in Sydney?
- Event Time Announcer/Fixed Time – Show local times worldwide for your event.