Moon Light World Map
The map below shows where the Moon is visible from the Earth, depending on weather conditions and moon phases.
The white dot symbolizes the position of the Moon, and the yellow sun symbolizes the position of the sun.
Change time and date
|< 4 weeks||4 weeks >||March equinox|
|< 1 day||1 day >||June solstice|
|< 12 hours||12 hours >||September equinox|
|< 6 hours||6 hours >||December solstice|
|< 1 hour||1 hour >||Now/Current time|
|< 10 minutes||10 minutes >|
- The bright part of the map shows where the moon is over the horizon on Saturday, September 8, 2012 at 11:26:00 UTC.
- The Sun's position is marked with this symbol: . At this location, the Sun will be at its zenith (directly overhead) in relation to an observer.
- The Moon's position is marked with this symbol: . At this location, the Moon will be at its zenith in relation to an observer. Note that the symbol is not showing the current phase of the Moon.
Fraction of moon illuminated: 51%
|Previous phase||Full Moon||Friday, August 31, 2012 at 1:59 PM|
|Next phase||Third Quarter||Saturday, September 8, 2012 at 1:16 PM|
Position of the Moon
On Saturday, September 8, 2012 at 11:26:00 UTC the Moon is at its zenith at
The ground speed of the movement is currently 418.47 meters/second, 1506.5 km/hour, 936.1 miles/hour or 813.4 knots. The table below shows the Moon position compared to the time and date above:
|Time||Longitude difference||Latitude difference||Total|
|1 minute||0° 14' 30.6"||15.60 mi||west||0° 00' 00.7"||0.01 mi||north||15.60 mi|
|1 hour||14° 30' 35.2"||935.82 mi||west||0° 00' 37.7"||0.72 mi||north||935.79 mi|
|24 hours||11° 49' 21.3"||762.60 mi||east||0° 12' 39.4"||14.52 mi||south||763.28 mi|
Locations with the moon near zenith
The following table shows 10 locations with moon near zenith position in the sky.
|Cancún *||Sat 6:26 AM||150 km||93 miles||81 nm||W|
|Cozumel *||Sat 6:26 AM||179 km||111 miles||97 nm||WSW|
|Playa del Carmen *||Sat 6:26 AM||185 km||115 miles||100 nm||WSW|
|Havana *||Sat 7:26 AM||377 km||234 miles||204 nm||NE|
|Chetumal *||Sat 6:26 AM||427 km||265 miles||230 nm||SW|
|Merida *||Sat 6:26 AM||439 km||273 miles||237 nm||W|
|San Pedro||Sat 5:26 AM||452 km||281 miles||244 nm||SW|
|George Town (Cayman)||Sat 6:26 AM||468 km||291 miles||253 nm||ESE|
|Orange Walk Town||Sat 5:26 AM||479 km||298 miles||259 nm||SW|
|Belize City||Sat 5:26 AM||504 km||313 miles||272 nm||SW|
- Seasons Calculator
- Moon Calculator – Find times for moonrise, moonset and more
- Moon Phase Calculator – Calculate moon phases for any year
- Sunrise Calculator – Find times for sunrise, sunset and more
Related time zone tools
- The World Clock – Current times around the world
- Personal World Clock – Shows just the cities you need
- Meeting Planner – Find a suitable time for an international meeting
- Time Zone Converter – If it is 3 pm in New York, what time is it in Sydney?
- Event Time Announcer/Fixed Time – Show local times worldwide for your event.