Moon Light World Map
The map below shows where the Moon is visible from the Earth, depending on weather conditions and moon phases.
The white dot symbolizes the position of the Moon, and the yellow sun symbolizes the position of the sun.
Change time and date
|< 4 weeks||4 weeks >||March equinox|
|< 1 day||1 day >||June solstice|
|< 12 hours||12 hours >||September equinox|
|< 6 hours||6 hours >||December solstice|
|< 1 hour||1 hour >||Now/Current time|
|< 10 minutes||10 minutes >|
- The bright part of the map shows where the moon is over the horizon on Saturday, September 8, 2012 at 17:16:00 UTC.
- The Sun's position is marked with this symbol: . At this location, the Sun will be at its zenith (directly overhead) in relation to an observer.
- The Moon's position is marked with this symbol: . At this location, the Moon will be at its zenith in relation to an observer. Note that the symbol is not showing the current phase of the Moon.
Fraction of moon illuminated: 48%
|Previous phase||Third Quarter||Saturday, September 8, 2012 at 1:16 PM|
|Next phase||New Moon||Sunday, September 16, 2012 at 2:11 AM|
Position of the Moon
On Saturday, September 8, 2012 at 17:16:00 UTC the Moon is at its zenith at
The ground speed of the movement is currently 418.33 meters/second, 1506.0 km/hour, 935.8 miles/hour or 813.2 knots. The table below shows the Moon position compared to the time and date above:
|Time||Longitude difference||Latitude difference||Total|
|1 minute||0° 14' 30.4"||15.60 mi||west||0° 00' 00.1"||0.00 mi||north||15.60 mi|
|1 hour||14° 30' 30.3"||935.50 mi||west||0° 00' 02.7"||0.05 mi||north||935.49 mi|
|24 hours||11° 50' 46.7"||763.94 mi||east||0° 26' 47.7"||30.73 mi||south||765.70 mi|
Locations with the moon near zenith
The following table shows 10 locations with moon near zenith position in the sky.
|Midway||Sat 6:16 AM||1070 km||665 miles||578 nm||NW|
|Honolulu||Sat 7:16 AM||1264 km||785 miles||682 nm||E|
|Baker Island||Sat 5:16 AM||2432 km||1511 miles||1313 nm||SSW|
|Wake Island||Sun 5:16 AM||2443 km||1518 miles||1319 nm||W|
|Kiritimati||Sun 7:16 AM||2549 km||1584 miles||1376 nm||SE|
|Majuro||Sun 5:16 AM||2551 km||1585 miles||1377 nm||SW|
|Tarawa||Sun 5:16 AM||2864 km||1779 miles||1546 nm||SW|
|Fakaofo||Sun 6:16 AM||3389 km||2106 miles||1830 nm||S|
|Adak *||Sat 8:16 AM||3446 km||2141 miles||1861 nm||N|
|Yaren||Sun 5:16 AM||3477 km||2160 miles||1877 nm||SW|
- Seasons Calculator
- Moon Calculator – Find times for moonrise, moonset and more
- Moon Phase Calculator – Calculate moon phases for any year
- Sunrise Calculator – Find times for sunrise, sunset and more
Related time zone tools
- The World Clock – Current times around the world
- Personal World Clock – Shows just the cities you need
- Meeting Planner – Find a suitable time for an international meeting
- Time Zone Converter – If it is 3 pm in New York, what time is it in Sydney?
- Event Time Announcer/Fixed Time – Show local times worldwide for your event.