Moon Light World Map
The map below shows where the Moon is visible from the Earth, depending on weather conditions and moon phases.
The white dot symbolizes the position of the Moon, and the yellow sun symbolizes the position of the sun.
Change time and date
|< 4 weeks||4 weeks >||March equinox|
|< 1 day||1 day >||June solstice|
|< 12 hours||12 hours >||September equinox|
|< 6 hours||6 hours >||December solstice|
|< 1 hour||1 hour >||Now/Current time|
|< 10 minutes||10 minutes >|
- The bright part of the map shows where the moon is over the horizon on Saturday, September 8, 2012 at 17:56:00 UTC.
- The Sun's position is marked with this symbol: . At this location, the Sun will be at its zenith (directly overhead) in relation to an observer.
- The Moon's position is marked with this symbol: . At this location, the Moon will be at its zenith in relation to an observer. Note that the symbol is not showing the current phase of the Moon.
Fraction of moon illuminated: 48%
|Previous phase||Third Quarter||Saturday, September 8, 2012 at 1:16 PM|
|Next phase||New Moon||Sunday, September 16, 2012 at 2:11 AM|
Position of the Moon
On Saturday, September 8, 2012 at 17:56:00 UTC the Moon is at its zenith at
The ground speed of the movement is currently 418.32 meters/second, 1506.0 km/hour, 935.8 miles/hour or 813.1 knots. The table below shows the Moon position compared to the time and date above:
|Time||Longitude difference||Latitude difference||Total|
|1 minute||0° 14' 30.4"||15.60 mi||west||0° 00' 00.0"||0.00 mi||north||15.60 mi|
|1 hour||14° 30' 29.7"||935.48 mi||west||0° 00' 01.2"||0.03 mi||south||935.48 mi|
|24 hours||11° 50' 55.3"||764.09 mi||east||0° 28' 24.9"||32.58 mi||south||766.00 mi|
Locations with the moon near zenith
The following table shows 10 locations with moon near zenith position in the sky.
|Midway||Sat 6:56 AM||807 km||501 miles||436 nm||NNE|
|Wake Island||Sun 5:56 AM||1441 km||895 miles||778 nm||W|
|Majuro||Sun 5:56 AM||1841 km||1144 miles||994 nm||SSW|
|Honolulu||Sat 7:56 AM||2266 km||1408 miles||1224 nm||E|
|Tarawa||Sun 5:56 AM||2332 km||1449 miles||1259 nm||SSW|
|Baker Island||Sat 5:56 AM||2355 km||1463 miles||1272 nm||S|
|Yaren||Sun 5:56 AM||2814 km||1749 miles||1520 nm||SSW|
|Palikir||Sun 4:56 AM||2860 km||1777 miles||1545 nm||WSW|
|Kiritimati||Sun 7:56 AM||3238 km||2012 miles||1749 nm||SE|
|Funafuti||Sun 5:56 AM||3294 km||2047 miles||1779 nm||S|
- Seasons Calculator
- Moon Calculator – Find times for moonrise, moonset and more
- Moon Phase Calculator – Calculate moon phases for any year
- Sunrise Calculator – Find times for sunrise, sunset and more
Related time zone tools
- The World Clock – Current times around the world
- Personal World Clock – Shows just the cities you need
- Meeting Planner – Find a suitable time for an international meeting
- Time Zone Converter – If it is 3 pm in New York, what time is it in Sydney?
- Event Time Announcer/Fixed Time – Show local times worldwide for your event.