Moon Light World Map
The map below shows where the Moon is visible from the Earth, depending on weather conditions and moon phases.
The white dot symbolizes the position of the Moon, and the yellow sun symbolizes the position of the sun.
Change time and date
|< 4 weeks||4 weeks >||March equinox|
|< 1 day||1 day >||June solstice|
|< 12 hours||12 hours >||September equinox|
|< 6 hours||6 hours >||December solstice|
|< 1 hour||1 hour >||Now/Current time|
|< 10 minutes||10 minutes >|
- The bright part of the map shows where the moon is over the horizon on Sunday, September 9, 2012 at 20:10:00 UTC.
- The Sun's position is marked with this symbol: . At this location, the Sun will be at its zenith (directly overhead) in relation to an observer.
- The Moon's position is marked with this symbol: . At this location, the Moon will be at its zenith in relation to an observer. Note that the symbol is not showing the current phase of the Moon.
Fraction of moon illuminated: 38%
|Previous phase||Third Quarter||Saturday, September 8, 2012 at 1:16 PM|
|Next phase||New Moon||Sunday, September 16, 2012 at 2:11 AM|
Position of the Moon
On Sunday, September 9, 2012 at 20:10:00 UTC the Moon is at its zenith at
The ground speed of the movement is currently 419.79 meters/second, 1511.3 km/hour, 939.1 miles/hour or 816.0 knots. The table below shows the Moon position compared to the time and date above:
|Time||Longitude difference||Latitude difference||Total|
|1 minute||0° 14' 30.2"||15.65 mi||west||0° 00' 02.5"||0.05 mi||south||15.65 mi|
|1 hour||14° 30' 16.4"||938.73 mi||west||0° 02' 40.5"||3.07 mi||south||938.87 mi|
|24 hours||11° 53' 53.7"||770.13 mi||east||1° 32' 00.2"||105.48 mi||south||781.07 mi|
Locations with the moon near zenith
The following table shows 10 locations with moon near zenith position in the sky.
|Wake Island||Mon 8:10 AM||739 km||459 miles||399 nm||E|
|Palikir||Mon 7:10 AM||1532 km||952 miles||827 nm||S|
|Hagåtña||Mon 6:10 AM||1782 km||1107 miles||962 nm||WSW|
|Majuro||Mon 8:10 AM||1940 km||1206 miles||1048 nm||SE|
|Midway||Sun 9:10 AM||2461 km||1529 miles||1329 nm||ENE|
|Yaren||Mon 8:10 AM||2473 km||1537 miles||1335 nm||SSE|
|Yokohama||Mon 5:10 AM||2556 km||1588 miles||1380 nm||NW|
|Tokyo||Mon 5:10 AM||2568 km||1596 miles||1387 nm||NW|
|Tarawa||Mon 8:10 AM||2572 km||1598 miles||1389 nm||SE|
|Melekeok||Mon 5:10 AM||3072 km||1909 miles||1659 nm||WSW|
- Seasons Calculator
- Moon Calculator – Find times for moonrise, moonset and more
- Moon Phase Calculator – Calculate moon phases for any year
- Sunrise Calculator – Find times for sunrise, sunset and more
Related time zone tools
- The World Clock – Current times around the world
- Personal World Clock – Shows just the cities you need
- Meeting Planner – Find a suitable time for an international meeting
- Time Zone Converter – If it is 3 pm in New York, what time is it in Sydney?
- Event Time Announcer/Fixed Time – Show local times worldwide for your event.