Moon Light World Map
The map below shows where the Moon is visible from the Earth, depending on weather conditions and moon phases.
The white dot symbolizes the position of the Moon, and the yellow sun symbolizes the position of the sun.
Change time and date
|< 4 weeks||4 weeks >||March equinox|
|< 1 day||1 day >||June solstice|
|< 12 hours||12 hours >||September equinox|
|< 6 hours||6 hours >||December solstice|
|< 1 hour||1 hour >||Now/Current time|
|< 10 minutes||10 minutes >|
- The bright part of the map shows where the moon is over the horizon on Tuesday, September 11, 2012 at 20:10:00 UTC.
- The Sun's position is marked with this symbol: . At this location, the Sun will be at its zenith (directly overhead) in relation to an observer.
- The Moon's position is marked with this symbol: . At this location, the Moon will be at its zenith in relation to an observer. Note that the symbol is not showing the current phase of the Moon.
Fraction of moon illuminated: 20%
|Previous phase||Third Quarter||Saturday, September 8, 2012 at 1:16 PM|
|Next phase||New Moon||Sunday, September 16, 2012 at 2:11 AM|
Position of the Moon
On Tuesday, September 11, 2012 at 20:10:00 UTC the Moon is at its zenith at
The ground speed of the movement is currently 429.82 meters/second, 1547.4 km/hour, 961.5 miles/hour or 835.5 knots. The table below shows the Moon position compared to the time and date above:
|Time||Longitude difference||Latitude difference||Total|
|1 minute||0° 14' 30.4"||16.02 mi||west||0° 00' 07.2"||0.14 mi||south||16.02 mi|
|1 hour||14° 30' 21.2"||961.24 mi||west||0° 07' 20.5"||8.41 mi||south||961.59 mi|
|24 hours||11° 50' 14.3"||784.46 mi||east||3° 20' 03.4"||229.25 mi||south||823.37 mi|
Locations with the moon near zenith
The following table shows 10 locations with moon near zenith position in the sky.
|Midway||Tue 9:10 AM||1281 km||796 miles||692 nm||N|
|Majuro||Wed 8:10 AM||1705 km||1059 miles||921 nm||SW|
|Wake Island||Wed 8:10 AM||1810 km||1124 miles||977 nm||WNW|
|Baker Island||Tue 8:10 AM||1823 km||1133 miles||984 nm||S|
|Honolulu||Tue 10:10 AM||2025 km||1258 miles||1094 nm||ENE|
|Tarawa||Wed 8:10 AM||2044 km||1270 miles||1104 nm||SW|
|Yaren||Wed 8:10 AM||2635 km||1638 miles||1423 nm||SW|
|Kiritimati||Wed 10:10 AM||2661 km||1653 miles||1437 nm||SE|
|Funafuti||Wed 8:10 AM||2826 km||1756 miles||1526 nm||S|
|Fakaofo||Wed 9:10 AM||2937 km||1825 miles||1586 nm||SSE|
- Seasons Calculator
- Moon Calculator – Find times for moonrise, moonset and more
- Moon Phase Calculator – Calculate moon phases for any year
- Sunrise Calculator – Find times for sunrise, sunset and more
Related time zone tools
- The World Clock – Current times around the world
- Personal World Clock – Shows just the cities you need
- Meeting Planner – Find a suitable time for an international meeting
- Time Zone Converter – If it is 3 pm in New York, what time is it in Sydney?
- Event Time Announcer/Fixed Time – Show local times worldwide for your event.