Moon Light World Map
The map below shows where the Moon is visible from the Earth, depending on weather conditions and moon phases.
The white dot symbolizes the position of the Moon, and the yellow sun symbolizes the position of the sun.
Change time and date
|< 4 weeks||4 weeks >||March equinox|
|< 1 day||1 day >||June solstice|
|< 12 hours||12 hours >||September equinox|
|< 6 hours||6 hours >||December solstice|
|< 1 hour||1 hour >||Now/Current time|
|< 10 minutes||10 minutes >|
- The bright part of the map shows where the moon is over the horizon on Wednesday, September 12, 2012 at 20:28:00 UTC.
- The Sun's position is marked with this symbol: . At this location, the Sun will be at its zenith (directly overhead) in relation to an observer.
- The Moon's position is marked with this symbol: . At this location, the Moon will be at its zenith in relation to an observer. Note that the symbol is not showing the current phase of the Moon.
Fraction of moon illuminated: 12%
|Previous phase||Third Quarter||Saturday, September 8, 2012 at 1:16 PM|
|Next phase||New Moon||Sunday, September 16, 2012 at 2:11 AM|
Position of the Moon
On Wednesday, September 12, 2012 at 20:28:00 UTC the Moon is at its zenith at
The ground speed of the movement is currently 436.69 meters/second, 1572.1 km/hour, 976.8 miles/hour or 848.8 knots. The table below shows the Moon position compared to the time and date above:
|Time||Longitude difference||Latitude difference||Total|
|1 minute||0° 14' 30.4"||16.28 mi||west||0° 00' 09.2"||0.18 mi||south||16.28 mi|
|1 hour||14° 30' 27.1"||976.64 mi||west||0° 09' 23.2"||10.75 mi||south||977.01 mi|
|24 hours||11° 49' 02.6"||795.58 mi||east||4° 05' 09.0"||280.84 mi||south||849.34 mi|
Locations with the moon near zenith
The following table shows 10 locations with moon near zenith position in the sky.
|Honolulu||Wed 10:28 AM||1478 km||919 miles||798 nm||NE|
|Baker Island||Wed 8:28 AM||1667 km||1036 miles||900 nm||SSW|
|Kiritimati||Thu 10:28 AM||1802 km||1120 miles||973 nm||SE|
|Midway||Wed 9:28 AM||1866 km||1160 miles||1008 nm||NNW|
|Majuro||Thu 8:28 AM||2273 km||1412 miles||1227 nm||WSW|
|Tarawa||Thu 8:28 AM||2380 km||1479 miles||1285 nm||WSW|
|Fakaofo||Thu 9:28 AM||2518 km||1565 miles||1360 nm||S|
|Wake Island||Thu 8:28 AM||2684 km||1668 miles||1449 nm||WNW|
|Funafuti||Thu 8:28 AM||2742 km||1704 miles||1480 nm||SSW|
|Apia||Thu 9:28 AM||3016 km||1874 miles||1628 nm||S|
- Seasons Calculator
- Moon Calculator – Find times for moonrise, moonset and more
- Moon Phase Calculator – Calculate moon phases for any year
- Sunrise Calculator – Find times for sunrise, sunset and more
Related time zone tools
- The World Clock – Current times around the world
- Personal World Clock – Shows just the cities you need
- Meeting Planner – Find a suitable time for an international meeting
- Time Zone Converter – If it is 3 pm in New York, what time is it in Sydney?
- Event Time Announcer/Fixed Time – Show local times worldwide for your event.