Moon Light World Map
The map below shows where the Moon is visible from the Earth, depending on weather conditions and moon phases.
The white dot symbolizes the position of the Moon, and the yellow sun symbolizes the position of the sun.
Change time and date
|< 4 weeks||4 weeks >||March equinox|
|< 1 day||1 day >||June solstice|
|< 12 hours||12 hours >||September equinox|
|< 6 hours||6 hours >||December solstice|
|< 1 hour||1 hour >||Now/Current time|
|< 10 minutes||10 minutes >|
- The bright part of the map shows where the moon is over the horizon on Wednesday, September 12, 2012 at 20:28:00 UTC.
- The Sun's position is marked with this symbol: . At this location, the Sun will be at its zenith (directly overhead) in relation to an observer.
- The Moon's position is marked with this symbol: . At this location, the Moon will be at its zenith in relation to an observer. Note that the symbol is not showing the current phase of the Moon.
Fraction of moon illuminated: 12%
|Previous phase||Third Quarter||Saturday, September 8, 2012 at 1:17 PM|
|Next phase||New Moon||Sunday, September 16, 2012 at 2:12 AM|
Position of the Moon
On Wednesday, September 12, 2012 at 20:28:00 UTC the Moon is at its zenith at
The ground speed of the movement is currently 436.68 meters/second, 1572.0 km/hour, 976.8 miles/hour or 848.8 knots. The table below shows the Moon position compared to the time and date above:
|Time||Longitude difference||Latitude difference||Total|
|1 minute||0° 14' 30.4"||16.28 mi||west||0° 00' 09.2"||0.18 mi||south||16.28 mi|
|1 hour||14° 30' 27.1"||976.63 mi||west||0° 09' 23.1"||10.75 mi||south||977.00 mi|
|24 hours||11° 49' 02.5"||795.57 mi||east||4° 05' 07.0"||280.80 mi||south||849.32 mi|
Locations with the moon near zenith
The following table shows 10 locations with moon near zenith position in the sky.
|Honolulu||Wed 10:28 AM||1455 km||904 miles||786 nm||NE|
|Baker Island||Wed 8:28 AM||1683 km||1046 miles||909 nm||SSW|
|Kiritimati||Thu 10:28 AM||1781 km||1107 miles||962 nm||SE|
|Midway||Wed 9:28 AM||1879 km||1168 miles||1015 nm||NNW|
|Majuro||Thu 8:28 AM||2301 km||1430 miles||1242 nm||WSW|
|Tarawa||Thu 8:28 AM||2405 km||1494 miles||1298 nm||WSW|
|Fakaofo||Thu 9:28 AM||2522 km||1567 miles||1362 nm||S|
|Wake Island||Thu 8:28 AM||2711 km||1685 miles||1464 nm||WNW|
|Funafuti||Thu 8:28 AM||2756 km||1713 miles||1488 nm||SSW|
|Apia||Thu 9:28 AM||3019 km||1876 miles||1630 nm||S|
- Seasons Calculator
- Moon Calculator – Find times for moonrise, moonset and more
- Moon Phase Calculator – Calculate moon phases for any year
- Sunrise Calculator – Find times for sunrise, sunset and more
Related time zone tools
- The World Clock – Current times around the world
- Personal World Clock – Shows just the cities you need
- Meeting Planner – Find a suitable time for an international meeting
- Time Zone Converter – If it is 3 pm in New York, what time is it in Sydney?
- Event Time Announcer/Fixed Time – Show local times worldwide for your event.