Moon Light World Map
The map below shows where the Moon is visible from the Earth, depending on weather conditions and moon phases.
The white dot symbolizes the position of the Moon, and the yellow sun symbolizes the position of the sun.
Change time and date
|< 4 weeks||4 weeks >||March equinox|
|< 1 day||1 day >||June solstice|
|< 12 hours||12 hours >||September equinox|
|< 6 hours||6 hours >||December solstice|
|< 1 hour||1 hour >||Now/Current time|
|< 10 minutes||10 minutes >|
- The bright part of the map shows where the moon is over the horizon on Thursday, September 13, 2012 at 20:38:00 UTC.
- The Sun's position is marked with this symbol: . At this location, the Sun will be at its zenith (directly overhead) in relation to an observer.
- The Moon's position is marked with this symbol: . At this location, the Moon will be at its zenith in relation to an observer. Note that the symbol is not showing the current phase of the Moon.
Fraction of moon illuminated: 6%
|Previous phase||Third Quarter||Saturday, September 8, 2012 at 1:17 PM|
|Next phase||New Moon||Sunday, September 16, 2012 at 2:12 AM|
Position of the Moon
On Thursday, September 13, 2012 at 20:38:00 UTC the Moon is at its zenith at
The ground speed of the movement is currently 442.92 meters/second, 1594.5 km/hour, 990.8 miles/hour or 861.0 knots. The table below shows the Moon position compared to the time and date above:
|Time||Longitude difference||Latitude difference||Total|
|1 minute||0° 14' 30.4"||16.51 mi||west||0° 00' 11.0"||0.21 mi||south||16.51 mi|
|1 hour||14° 30' 25.6"||990.63 mi||west||0° 11' 02.9"||12.66 mi||south||990.97 mi|
|24 hours||11° 52' 11.6"||810.56 mi||east||4° 39' 34.6"||320.20 mi||south||875.62 mi|
Locations with the moon near zenith
The following table shows 10 locations with moon near zenith position in the sky.
|Kiritimati||Fri 10:38 AM||838 km||521 miles||453 nm||SSE|
|Honolulu||Thu 10:38 AM||1352 km||840 miles||730 nm||N|
|Baker Island||Thu 8:38 AM||2145 km||1333 miles||1158 nm||WSW|
|Fakaofo||Fri 9:38 AM||2439 km||1516 miles||1317 nm||SSW|
|Midway||Thu 9:38 AM||2831 km||1759 miles||1529 nm||NW|
|Apia||Fri 9:38 AM||2893 km||1798 miles||1562 nm||SSW|
|Funafuti||Fri 8:38 AM||3081 km||1914 miles||1664 nm||SW|
|Papeete||Thu 10:38 AM||3143 km||1953 miles||1697 nm||SSE|
|Tarawa||Fri 8:38 AM||3183 km||1978 miles||1719 nm||WSW|
|Majuro||Fri 8:38 AM||3255 km||2023 miles||1758 nm||W|
- Seasons Calculator
- Moon Calculator – Find times for moonrise, moonset and more
- Moon Phase Calculator – Calculate moon phases for any year
- Sunrise Calculator – Find times for sunrise, sunset and more
Related time zone tools
- The World Clock – Current times around the world
- Personal World Clock – Shows just the cities you need
- Meeting Planner – Find a suitable time for an international meeting
- Time Zone Converter – If it is 3 pm in New York, what time is it in Sydney?
- Event Time Announcer/Fixed Time – Show local times worldwide for your event.