Moon Light World Map
The map below shows where the Moon is visible from the Earth, depending on weather conditions and moon phases.
The white dot symbolizes the position of the Moon, and the yellow sun symbolizes the position of the sun.
Change time and date
|< 4 weeks||4 weeks >||March equinox|
|< 1 day||1 day >||June solstice|
|< 12 hours||12 hours >||September equinox|
|< 6 hours||6 hours >||December solstice|
|< 1 hour||1 hour >||Now/Current time|
|< 10 minutes||10 minutes >|
- The bright part of the map shows where the moon is over the horizon on Friday, September 14, 2012 at 20:18:00 UTC.
- The Sun's position is marked with this symbol: . At this location, the Sun will be at its zenith (directly overhead) in relation to an observer.
- The Moon's position is marked with this symbol: . At this location, the Moon will be at its zenith in relation to an observer. Note that the symbol is not showing the current phase of the Moon.
Fraction of moon illuminated: 2%
|Previous phase||Third Quarter||Saturday, September 8, 2012 at 1:17 PM|
|Next phase||New Moon||Sunday, September 16, 2012 at 2:12 AM|
Position of the Moon
On Friday, September 14, 2012 at 20:18:00 UTC the Moon is at its zenith at
The ground speed of the movement is currently 447.08 meters/second, 1609.5 km/hour, 1000.1 miles/hour or 869.0 knots. The table below shows the Moon position compared to the time and date above:
|Time||Longitude difference||Latitude difference||Total|
|1 minute||0° 14' 30.2"||16.67 mi||west||0° 00' 12.1"||0.23 mi||south||16.67 mi|
|1 hour||14° 30' 10.2"||999.96 mi||west||0° 12' 11.4"||13.96 mi||south||1000.20 mi|
|24 hours||12° 01' 47.5"||829.45 mi||east||5° 00' 12.4"||343.78 mi||south||899.58 mi|
Locations with the moon near zenith
The following table shows 10 locations with moon near zenith position in the sky.
|Kiritimati||Sat 10:18 AM||1663 km||1033 miles||898 nm||W|
|Honolulu||Fri 10:18 AM||2477 km||1539 miles||1337 nm||NW|
|Papeete||Fri 10:18 AM||2563 km||1593 miles||1384 nm||SSW|
|Rarotonga||Fri 10:18 AM||3415 km||2122 miles||1844 nm||SSW|
|Fakaofo||Sat 9:18 AM||3530 km||2193 miles||1906 nm||WSW|
|Adamstown||Fri 12:18 PM||3549 km||2205 miles||1917 nm||SSE|
|Baker Island||Fri 8:18 AM||3796 km||2359 miles||2050 nm||W|
|Apia||Sat 9:18 AM||3811 km||2368 miles||2058 nm||WSW|
|Alofi||Fri 9:18 AM||3973 km||2469 miles||2145 nm||SW|
|Los Angeles *||Fri 1:18 PM||4121 km||2561 miles||2225 nm||NE|
- Seasons Calculator
- Moon Calculator – Find times for moonrise, moonset and more
- Moon Phase Calculator – Calculate moon phases for any year
- Sunrise Calculator – Find times for sunrise, sunset and more
Related time zone tools
- The World Clock – Current times around the world
- Personal World Clock – Shows just the cities you need
- Meeting Planner – Find a suitable time for an international meeting
- Time Zone Converter – If it is 3 pm in New York, what time is it in Sydney?
- Event Time Announcer/Fixed Time – Show local times worldwide for your event.