Moon Light World Map
The map below shows where the Moon is visible from the Earth, depending on weather conditions and moon phases.
The white dot symbolizes the position of the Moon, and the yellow sun symbolizes the position of the sun.
Change time and date
|< 4 weeks||4 weeks >||March equinox|
|< 1 day||1 day >||June solstice|
|< 12 hours||12 hours >||September equinox|
|< 6 hours||6 hours >||December solstice|
|< 1 hour||1 hour >||Now/Current time|
|< 10 minutes||10 minutes >|
- The bright part of the map shows where the moon is over the horizon on Saturday, September 15, 2012 at 20:28:00 UTC.
- The Sun's position is marked with this symbol: . At this location, the Sun will be at its zenith (directly overhead) in relation to an observer.
- The Moon's position is marked with this symbol: . At this location, the Moon will be at its zenith in relation to an observer. Note that the symbol is not showing the current phase of the Moon.
The moon is so close to the Sun that it is probably impossible to see from earth
Fraction of moon illuminated: 0%
|Previous phase||Third Quarter||Saturday, September 8, 2012 at 1:16 PM|
|Next phase||New Moon||Sunday, September 16, 2012 at 2:11 AM|
Position of the Moon
On Saturday, September 15, 2012 at 20:28:00 UTC the Moon is at its zenith at
The ground speed of the movement is currently 448.20 meters/second, 1613.5 km/hour, 1002.6 miles/hour or 871.2 knots. The table below shows the Moon position compared to the time and date above:
|Time||Longitude difference||Latitude difference||Total|
|1 minute||0° 14' 29.5"||16.71 mi||west||0° 00' 12.6"||0.24 mi||south||16.71 mi|
|1 hour||14° 29' 35.6"||1002.55 mi||west||0° 12' 44.0"||14.58 mi||south||1002.64 mi|
|24 hours||12° 19' 32.9"||852.62 mi||east||5° 04' 49.3"||349.10 mi||south||920.01 mi|
Locations with the moon near zenith
The following table shows 10 locations with moon near zenith position in the sky.
|Papeete||Sat 10:28 AM||2599 km||1615 miles||1403 nm||SW|
|Kiritimati||Sun 10:28 AM||2690 km||1672 miles||1453 nm||W|
|Adamstown||Sat 12:28 PM||2745 km||1705 miles||1482 nm||S|
|Honolulu||Sat 10:28 AM||3598 km||2235 miles||1943 nm||NW|
|Rarotonga||Sat 10:28 AM||3684 km||2289 miles||1989 nm||SW|
|Easter Island *||Sat 3:28 PM||3903 km||2426 miles||2108 nm||SE|
|Hermosillo||Sat 1:28 PM||4038 km||2509 miles||2180 nm||NE|
|Los Angeles *||Sat 1:28 PM||4129 km||2566 miles||2230 nm||NNE|
|Fakaofo||Sun 9:28 AM||4319 km||2684 miles||2332 nm||WSW|
|Mexico City *||Sat 3:28 PM||4327 km||2689 miles||2336 nm||ENE|
- Seasons Calculator
- Moon Calculator – Find times for moonrise, moonset and more
- Moon Phase Calculator – Calculate moon phases for any year
- Sunrise Calculator – Find times for sunrise, sunset and more
Related time zone tools
- The World Clock – Current times around the world
- Personal World Clock – Shows just the cities you need
- Meeting Planner – Find a suitable time for an international meeting
- Time Zone Converter – If it is 3 pm in New York, what time is it in Sydney?
- Event Time Announcer/Fixed Time – Show local times worldwide for your event.