Moon Light World Map
The map below shows where the Moon is visible from the Earth, depending on weather conditions and moon phases.
The white dot symbolizes the position of the Moon, and the yellow sun symbolizes the position of the sun.
Change time and date
|< 4 weeks||4 weeks >||March equinox|
|< 1 day||1 day >||June solstice|
|< 12 hours||12 hours >||September equinox|
|< 6 hours||6 hours >||December solstice|
|< 1 hour||1 hour >||Now/Current time|
|< 10 minutes||10 minutes >|
- The bright part of the map shows where the moon is over the horizon on Thursday, September 20, 2012 at 04:46:00 UTC.
- The Sun's position is marked with this symbol: . At this location, the Sun will be at its zenith (directly overhead) in relation to an observer.
- The Moon's position is marked with this symbol: . At this location, the Moon will be at its zenith in relation to an observer. Note that the symbol is not showing the current phase of the Moon.
Fraction of moon illuminated: 22%
|Previous phase||New Moon||Sunday, September 16, 2012 at 2:12 AM|
|Next phase||First Quarter||Saturday, September 22, 2012 at 7:42 PM|
Position of the Moon
On Thursday, September 20, 2012 at 04:46:00 UTC the Moon is at its zenith at
The ground speed of the movement is currently 421.75 meters/second, 1518.3 km/hour, 943.4 miles/hour or 819.8 knots. The table below shows the Moon position compared to the time and date above:
|Time||Longitude difference||Latitude difference||Total|
|1 minute||0° 14' 24.7"||15.72 mi||west||0° 00' 06.0"||0.12 mi||south||15.72 mi|
|1 hour||14° 24' 44.4"||943.12 mi||west||0° 05' 58.2"||6.84 mi||south||942.87 mi|
|24 hours||14° 12' 48.4"||930.11 mi||east||1° 46' 07.9"||121.67 mi||south||933.00 mi|
Locations with the moon near zenith
The following table shows 10 locations with moon near zenith position in the sky.
|Noumea||Thu 3:46 PM||821 km||510 miles||443 nm||ESE|
|Luganville||Thu 3:46 PM||906 km||563 miles||489 nm||ENE|
|Port Vila||Thu 3:46 PM||949 km||590 miles||512 nm||E|
|Honiara||Thu 3:46 PM||1051 km||653 miles||568 nm||N|
|Brisbane||Thu 2:46 PM||1151 km||715 miles||621 nm||SSW|
|Cairns||Thu 2:46 PM||1462 km||909 miles||790 nm||W|
|Port Moresby||Thu 2:46 PM||1684 km||1047 miles||909 nm||NW|
|Sydney||Thu 2:46 PM||1846 km||1147 miles||997 nm||SSW|
|Suva||Thu 4:46 PM||2007 km||1247 miles||1084 nm||E|
|Canberra||Thu 2:46 PM||2078 km||1291 miles||1122 nm||SSW|
- Seasons Calculator
- Moon Calculator – Find times for moonrise, moonset and more
- Moon Phase Calculator – Calculate moon phases for any year
- Sunrise Calculator – Find times for sunrise, sunset and more
Related time zone tools
- The World Clock – Current times around the world
- Personal World Clock – Shows just the cities you need
- Meeting Planner – Find a suitable time for an international meeting
- Time Zone Converter – If it is 3 pm in New York, what time is it in Sydney?
- Event Time Announcer/Fixed Time – Show local times worldwide for your event.