Moon Light World Map
The map below shows where the Moon is visible from the Earth, depending on weather conditions and moon phases.
The white dot symbolizes the position of the Moon, and the yellow sun symbolizes the position of the sun.
Change time and date
|< 4 weeks||4 weeks >||March equinox|
|< 1 day||1 day >||June solstice|
|< 12 hours||12 hours >||September equinox|
|< 6 hours||6 hours >||December solstice|
|< 1 hour||1 hour >||Now/Current time|
|< 10 minutes||10 minutes >|
- The bright part of the map shows where the moon is over the horizon on Thursday, September 20, 2012 at 15:46:00 UTC.
- The Sun's position is marked with this symbol: . At this location, the Sun will be at its zenith (directly overhead) in relation to an observer.
- The Moon's position is marked with this symbol: . At this location, the Moon will be at its zenith in relation to an observer. Note that the symbol is not showing the current phase of the Moon.
Fraction of moon illuminated: 26%
|Previous phase||New Moon||Sunday, September 16, 2012 at 2:12 AM|
|Next phase||First Quarter||Saturday, September 22, 2012 at 7:42 PM|
Position of the Moon
On Thursday, September 20, 2012 at 15:46:00 UTC the Moon is at its zenith at
The ground speed of the movement is currently 419.10 meters/second, 1508.7 km/hour, 937.5 miles/hour or 814.7 knots. The table below shows the Moon position compared to the time and date above:
|Time||Longitude difference||Latitude difference||Total|
|1 minute||0° 14' 24.5"||15.62 mi||west||0° 00' 04.6"||0.09 mi||south||15.62 mi|
|1 hour||14° 24' 26.8"||937.18 mi||west||0° 04' 30.2"||5.16 mi||south||936.97 mi|
|24 hours||14° 16' 10.4"||928.22 mi||east||1° 09' 28.6"||79.66 mi||south||928.18 mi|
Locations with the moon near zenith
The following table shows 10 locations with moon near zenith position in the sky.
|Jamestown||Thu 3:46 PM||829 km||515 miles||447 nm||WNW|
|Windhoek *||Thu 5:46 PM||1705 km||1060 miles||921 nm||ESE|
|Luanda||Thu 4:46 PM||1804 km||1121 miles||974 nm||NE|
|Kinshasa||Thu 4:46 PM||2325 km||1445 miles||1255 nm||NE|
|Cape Town||Thu 5:46 PM||2326 km||1445 miles||1256 nm||SE|
|São Tomé||Thu 3:46 PM||2326 km||1445 miles||1256 nm||NNE|
|Brazzaville||Thu 4:46 PM||2328 km||1446 miles||1257 nm||NE|
|Libreville||Thu 4:46 PM||2430 km||1510 miles||1312 nm||NNE|
|Gaborone||Thu 5:46 PM||2625 km||1631 miles||1418 nm||ESE|
|Malabo||Thu 4:46 PM||2754 km||1711 miles||1487 nm||NNE|
- Seasons Calculator
- Moon Calculator – Find times for moonrise, moonset and more
- Moon Phase Calculator – Calculate moon phases for any year
- Sunrise Calculator – Find times for sunrise, sunset and more
Related time zone tools
- The World Clock – Current times around the world
- Personal World Clock – Shows just the cities you need
- Meeting Planner – Find a suitable time for an international meeting
- Time Zone Converter – If it is 3 pm in New York, what time is it in Sydney?
- Event Time Announcer/Fixed Time – Show local times worldwide for your event.