Moon Light World Map
The map below shows where the Moon is visible from the Earth, depending on weather conditions and moon phases.
The white dot symbolizes the position of the Moon, and the yellow sun symbolizes the position of the sun.
Change time and date
|< 4 weeks||4 weeks >||March equinox|
|< 1 day||1 day >||June solstice|
|< 12 hours||12 hours >||September equinox|
|< 6 hours||6 hours >||December solstice|
|< 1 hour||1 hour >||Now/Current time|
|< 10 minutes||10 minutes >|
- The bright part of the map shows where the moon is over the horizon on Saturday, September 22, 2012 at 01:24:00 UTC.
- The Sun's position is marked with this symbol: . At this location, the Sun will be at its zenith (directly overhead) in relation to an observer.
- The Moon's position is marked with this symbol: . At this location, the Moon will be at its zenith in relation to an observer. Note that the symbol is not showing the current phase of the Moon.
Fraction of moon illuminated: 42%
|Previous phase||New Moon||Sunday, September 16, 2012 at 2:11 AM|
|Next phase||First Quarter||Saturday, September 22, 2012 at 7:41 PM|
Position of the Moon
On Saturday, September 22, 2012 at 01:24:00 UTC the Moon is at its zenith at
The ground speed of the movement is currently 415.74 meters/second, 1496.7 km/hour, 930.0 miles/hour or 808.1 knots. The table below shows the Moon position compared to the time and date above:
|Time||Longitude difference||Latitude difference||Total|
|1 minute||0° 14' 24.5"||15.50 mi||west||0° 00' 00.2"||0.00 mi||north||15.50 mi|
|1 hour||14° 24' 29.8"||929.75 mi||west||0° 00' 14.9"||0.28 mi||north||929.76 mi|
|24 hours||14° 02' 48.1"||906.44 mi||east||0° 43' 57.1"||50.40 mi||north||910.04 mi|
Locations with the moon near zenith
The following table shows 10 locations with moon near zenith position in the sky.
|Adamstown||Fri 5:24 PM||773 km||480 miles||417 nm||SW|
|Easter Island *||Fri 8:24 PM||1616 km||1004 miles||873 nm||ESE|
|Papeete||Fri 3:24 PM||2727 km||1694 miles||1472 nm||W|
|Rarotonga||Fri 3:24 PM||3721 km||2312 miles||2009 nm||W|
|Galapagos Islands||Fri 7:24 PM||4342 km||2698 miles||2345 nm||ENE|
|Kiritimati||Sat 3:24 PM||4445 km||2762 miles||2400 nm||WNW|
|Alofi||Fri 2:24 PM||4805 km||2986 miles||2595 nm||W|
|Lima||Fri 8:24 PM||5079 km||3156 miles||2742 nm||E|
|Apia||Sat 2:24 PM||5133 km||3189 miles||2772 nm||W|
|Mexico City *||Fri 8:24 PM||5233 km||3252 miles||2826 nm||NNE|
- Seasons Calculator
- Moon Calculator – Find times for moonrise, moonset and more
- Moon Phase Calculator – Calculate moon phases for any year
- Sunrise Calculator – Find times for sunrise, sunset and more
Related time zone tools
- The World Clock – Current times around the world
- Personal World Clock – Shows just the cities you need
- Meeting Planner – Find a suitable time for an international meeting
- Time Zone Converter – If it is 3 pm in New York, what time is it in Sydney?
- Event Time Announcer/Fixed Time – Show local times worldwide for your event.