Moon Light World Map
The map below shows where the Moon is visible from the Earth, depending on weather conditions and moon phases.
The white dot symbolizes the position of the Moon, and the yellow sun symbolizes the position of the sun.
Change time and date
|< 4 weeks||4 weeks >||March equinox|
|< 1 day||1 day >||June solstice|
|< 12 hours||12 hours >||September equinox|
|< 6 hours||6 hours >||December solstice|
|< 1 hour||1 hour >||Now/Current time|
|< 10 minutes||10 minutes >|
- The bright part of the map shows where the moon is over the horizon on Saturday, September 22, 2012 at 07:48:00 UTC.
- The Sun's position is marked with this symbol: . At this location, the Sun will be at its zenith (directly overhead) in relation to an observer.
- The Moon's position is marked with this symbol: . At this location, the Moon will be at its zenith in relation to an observer. Note that the symbol is not showing the current phase of the Moon.
Fraction of moon illuminated: 44%
|Previous phase||New Moon||Sunday, September 16, 2012 at 2:11 AM|
|Next phase||First Quarter||Saturday, September 22, 2012 at 7:41 PM|
Position of the Moon
On Saturday, September 22, 2012 at 07:48:00 UTC the Moon is at its zenith at
The ground speed of the movement is currently 416.02 meters/second, 1497.7 km/hour, 930.6 miles/hour or 808.7 knots. The table below shows the Moon position compared to the time and date above:
|Time||Longitude difference||Latitude difference||Total|
|1 minute||0° 14' 24.6"||15.51 mi||west||0° 00' 01.0"||0.02 mi||north||15.51 mi|
|1 hour||14° 24' 40.5"||930.30 mi||west||0° 01' 08.5"||1.31 mi||north||930.36 mi|
|24 hours||13° 56' 26.4"||899.94 mi||east||1° 04' 31.4"||73.98 mi||north||906.15 mi|
Locations with the moon near zenith
The following table shows 10 locations with moon near zenith position in the sky.
|Cairns||Sat 5:48 PM||499 km||310 miles||269 nm||NNE|
|Alice Springs||Sat 5:18 PM||1075 km||668 miles||580 nm||WSW|
|Brisbane||Sat 5:48 PM||1165 km||724 miles||629 nm||SE|
|Port Moresby||Sat 5:48 PM||1332 km||828 miles||719 nm||NNE|
|Sydney||Sat 5:48 PM||1590 km||988 miles||858 nm||SSE|
|Adelaide||Sat 5:18 PM||1622 km||1008 miles||876 nm||SSW|
|Canberra||Sat 5:48 PM||1656 km||1029 miles||894 nm||SSE|
|Darwin||Sat 5:18 PM||1686 km||1048 miles||910 nm||WNW|
|Melbourne||Sat 5:48 PM||1859 km||1155 miles||1004 nm||S|
|Eucla||Sat 4:33 PM||1902 km||1182 miles||1027 nm||SW|
- Seasons Calculator
- Moon Calculator – Find times for moonrise, moonset and more
- Moon Phase Calculator – Calculate moon phases for any year
- Sunrise Calculator – Find times for sunrise, sunset and more
Related time zone tools
- The World Clock – Current times around the world
- Personal World Clock – Shows just the cities you need
- Meeting Planner – Find a suitable time for an international meeting
- Time Zone Converter – If it is 3 pm in New York, what time is it in Sydney?
- Event Time Announcer/Fixed Time – Show local times worldwide for your event.