Moon Light World Map
The map below shows where the Moon is visible from the Earth, depending on weather conditions and moon phases.
The white dot symbolizes the position of the Moon, and the yellow sun symbolizes the position of the sun.
Change time and date
|< 4 weeks||4 weeks >||March equinox|
|< 1 day||1 day >||June solstice|
|< 12 hours||12 hours >||September equinox|
|< 6 hours||6 hours >||December solstice|
|< 1 hour||1 hour >||Now/Current time|
|< 10 minutes||10 minutes >|
- The bright part of the map shows where the moon is over the horizon on Saturday, September 22, 2012 at 08:38:00 UTC.
- The Sun's position is marked with this symbol: . At this location, the Sun will be at its zenith (directly overhead) in relation to an observer.
- The Moon's position is marked with this symbol: . At this location, the Moon will be at its zenith in relation to an observer. Note that the symbol is not showing the current phase of the Moon.
Fraction of moon illuminated: 45%
|Previous phase||New Moon||Sunday, September 16, 2012 at 2:12 AM|
|Next phase||First Quarter||Saturday, September 22, 2012 at 7:42 PM|
Position of the Moon
On Saturday, September 22, 2012 at 08:38:00 UTC the Moon is at its zenith at
The ground speed of the movement is currently 416.07 meters/second, 1497.9 km/hour, 930.7 miles/hour or 808.8 knots. The table below shows the Moon position compared to the time and date above:
|Time||Longitude difference||Latitude difference||Total|
|1 minute||0° 14' 24.6"||15.51 mi||west||0° 00' 01.1"||0.02 mi||north||15.51 mi|
|1 hour||14° 24' 42.1"||930.42 mi||west||0° 01' 15.3"||1.44 mi||north||930.49 mi|
|24 hours||13° 55' 33.2"||899.08 mi||east||1° 07' 05.9"||76.93 mi||north||905.66 mi|
Locations with the moon near zenith
The following table shows 10 locations with moon near zenith position in the sky.
|Tennant Creek||Sat 6:08 PM||262 km||163 miles||141 nm||NE|
|Alice Springs||Sat 6:08 PM||341 km||212 miles||184 nm||SSE|
|Darwin||Sat 6:08 PM||961 km||597 miles||519 nm||N|
|Eucla||Sat 5:23 PM||1222 km||759 miles||660 nm||SSW|
|Cairns||Sat 6:38 PM||1503 km||934 miles||812 nm||ENE|
|Dili||Sat 5:38 PM||1553 km||965 miles||839 nm||NNW|
|Adelaide||Sat 6:08 PM||1662 km||1033 miles||898 nm||SSE|
|Perth||Sat 4:38 PM||2022 km||1256 miles||1092 nm||SW|
|Port Moresby||Sat 6:38 PM||2059 km||1279 miles||1112 nm||NE|
|Melbourne||Sat 6:38 PM||2229 km||1385 miles||1204 nm||SSE|
- Seasons Calculator
- Moon Calculator – Find times for moonrise, moonset and more
- Moon Phase Calculator – Calculate moon phases for any year
- Sunrise Calculator – Find times for sunrise, sunset and more
Related time zone tools
- The World Clock – Current times around the world
- Personal World Clock – Shows just the cities you need
- Meeting Planner – Find a suitable time for an international meeting
- Time Zone Converter – If it is 3 pm in New York, what time is it in Sydney?
- Event Time Announcer/Fixed Time – Show local times worldwide for your event.