Moon Light World Map
The map below shows where the Moon is visible from the Earth, depending on weather conditions and moon phases.
The white dot symbolizes the position of the Moon, and the yellow sun symbolizes the position of the sun.
Change time and date
|< 4 weeks||4 weeks >||March equinox|
|< 1 day||1 day >||June solstice|
|< 12 hours||12 hours >||September equinox|
|< 6 hours||6 hours >||December solstice|
|< 1 hour||1 hour >||Now/Current time|
|< 10 minutes||10 minutes >|
- The bright part of the map shows where the moon is over the horizon on Saturday, September 22, 2012 at 18:40:00 UTC.
- The Sun's position is marked with this symbol: . At this location, the Sun will be at its zenith (directly overhead) in relation to an observer.
- The Moon's position is marked with this symbol: . At this location, the Moon will be at its zenith in relation to an observer. Note that the symbol is not showing the current phase of the Moon.
Fraction of moon illuminated: 50%
|Previous phase||New Moon||Sunday, September 16, 2012 at 2:12 AM|
|Next phase||First Quarter||Saturday, September 22, 2012 at 7:42 PM|
Position of the Moon
On Saturday, September 22, 2012 at 18:40:00 UTC the Moon is at its zenith at
The ground speed of the movement is currently 417.12 meters/second, 1501.6 km/hour, 933.1 miles/hour or 810.8 knots. The table below shows the Moon position compared to the time and date above:
|Time||Longitude difference||Latitude difference||Total|
|1 minute||0° 14' 25.0"||15.55 mi||west||0° 00' 02.5"||0.05 mi||north||15.55 mi|
|1 hour||14° 25' 05.6"||932.79 mi||west||0° 02' 37.0"||3.00 mi||north||932.92 mi|
|24 hours||13° 43' 24.5"||887.87 mi||east||1° 37' 53.0"||112.22 mi||north||899.54 mi|
Locations with the moon near zenith
The following table shows 10 locations with moon near zenith position in the sky.
|Jamestown||Sat 6:40 PM||889 km||552 miles||480 nm||NE|
|Monrovia||Sat 6:40 PM||2998 km||1863 miles||1619 nm||N|
|Abidjan||Sat 6:40 PM||3026 km||1880 miles||1634 nm||NNE|
|Luanda||Sat 7:40 PM||3056 km||1899 miles||1650 nm||ENE|
|Windhoek *||Sat 8:40 PM||3061 km||1902 miles||1653 nm||E|
|São Tomé||Sat 6:40 PM||3130 km||1945 miles||1690 nm||NE|
|Yamoussoukro||Sat 6:40 PM||3148 km||1956 miles||1700 nm||NNE|
|Rio de Janeiro||Sat 3:40 PM||3180 km||1976 miles||1717 nm||W|
|Accra||Sat 6:40 PM||3201 km||1989 miles||1728 nm||NNE|
|Freetown||Sat 6:40 PM||3234 km||2009 miles||1746 nm||N|
- Seasons Calculator
- Moon Calculator – Find times for moonrise, moonset and more
- Moon Phase Calculator – Calculate moon phases for any year
- Sunrise Calculator – Find times for sunrise, sunset and more
Related time zone tools
- The World Clock – Current times around the world
- Personal World Clock – Shows just the cities you need
- Meeting Planner – Find a suitable time for an international meeting
- Time Zone Converter – If it is 3 pm in New York, what time is it in Sydney?
- Event Time Announcer/Fixed Time – Show local times worldwide for your event.