Moon Light World Map
The map below shows where the Moon is visible from the Earth, depending on weather conditions and moon phases.
The white dot symbolizes the position of the Moon, and the yellow sun symbolizes the position of the sun.
Change time and date
|< 4 weeks||4 weeks >||March equinox|
|< 1 day||1 day >||June solstice|
|< 12 hours||12 hours >||September equinox|
|< 6 hours||6 hours >||December solstice|
|< 1 hour||1 hour >||Now/Current time|
|< 10 minutes||10 minutes >|
- The bright part of the map shows where the moon is over the horizon on Sunday, September 23, 2012 at 02:58:00 UTC.
- The Sun's position is marked with this symbol: . At this location, the Sun will be at its zenith (directly overhead) in relation to an observer.
- The Moon's position is marked with this symbol: . At this location, the Moon will be at its zenith in relation to an observer. Note that the symbol is not showing the current phase of the Moon.
Fraction of moon illuminated: 54%
|Previous phase||First Quarter||Saturday, September 22, 2012 at 7:41 PM|
|Next phase||Full Moon||Sunday, September 30, 2012 at 3:19 AM|
Position of the Moon
On Sunday, September 23, 2012 at 02:58:00 UTC the Moon is at its zenith at
The ground speed of the movement is currently 418.48 meters/second, 1506.5 km/hour, 936.1 miles/hour or 813.5 knots. The table below shows the Moon position compared to the time and date above:
|Time||Longitude difference||Latitude difference||Total|
|1 minute||0° 14' 25.4"||15.60 mi||west||0° 00' 03.5"||0.07 mi||north||15.60 mi|
|1 hour||14° 25' 30.0"||935.84 mi||west||0° 03' 41.8"||4.24 mi||north||936.04 mi|
|24 hours||13° 31' 50.9"||877.86 mi||east||2° 01' 55.5"||139.78 mi||north||894.40 mi|
Locations with the moon near zenith
The following table shows 10 locations with moon near zenith position in the sky.
|Gambier Islands||Sat 5:58 PM||408 km||254 miles||220 nm||SW|
|Adamstown||Sat 6:58 PM||578 km||359 miles||312 nm||SSE|
|Papeete||Sat 4:58 PM||1831 km||1138 miles||989 nm||W|
|Easter Island *||Sat 9:58 PM||2467 km||1533 miles||1332 nm||ESE|
|Rarotonga||Sat 4:58 PM||2847 km||1769 miles||1537 nm||W|
|Kiritimati||Sun 4:58 PM||3662 km||2275 miles||1977 nm||NW|
|Alofi||Sat 3:58 PM||3926 km||2440 miles||2120 nm||W|
|Apia||Sun 3:58 PM||4240 km||2634 miles||2289 nm||W|
|Fakaofo||Sun 3:58 PM||4337 km||2695 miles||2342 nm||W|
|Nukualofa||Sun 3:58 PM||4444 km||2761 miles||2399 nm||W|
- Seasons Calculator
- Moon Calculator – Find times for moonrise, moonset and more
- Moon Phase Calculator – Calculate moon phases for any year
- Sunrise Calculator – Find times for sunrise, sunset and more
Related time zone tools
- The World Clock – Current times around the world
- Personal World Clock – Shows just the cities you need
- Meeting Planner – Find a suitable time for an international meeting
- Time Zone Converter – If it is 3 pm in New York, what time is it in Sydney?
- Event Time Announcer/Fixed Time – Show local times worldwide for your event.