Moon Light World Map
The map below shows where the Moon is visible from the Earth, depending on weather conditions and moon phases.
The white dot symbolizes the position of the Moon, and the yellow sun symbolizes the position of the sun.
Change time and date
|< 4 weeks||4 weeks >||March equinox|
|< 1 day||1 day >||June solstice|
|< 12 hours||12 hours >||September equinox|
|< 6 hours||6 hours >||December solstice|
|< 1 hour||1 hour >||Now/Current time|
|< 10 minutes||10 minutes >|
- The bright part of the map shows where the moon is over the horizon on Sunday, September 23, 2012 at 08:48:00 UTC.
- The Sun's position is marked with this symbol: . At this location, the Sun will be at its zenith (directly overhead) in relation to an observer.
- The Moon's position is marked with this symbol: . At this location, the Moon will be at its zenith in relation to an observer. Note that the symbol is not showing the current phase of the Moon.
Fraction of moon illuminated: 56%
|Previous phase||First Quarter||Saturday, September 22, 2012 at 7:41 PM|
|Next phase||Full Moon||Sunday, September 30, 2012 at 3:19 AM|
Position of the Moon
On Sunday, September 23, 2012 at 08:48:00 UTC the Moon is at its zenith at
The ground speed of the movement is currently 419.68 meters/second, 1510.8 km/hour, 938.8 miles/hour or 815.8 knots. The table below shows the Moon position compared to the time and date above:
|Time||Longitude difference||Latitude difference||Total|
|1 minute||0° 14' 25.7"||15.65 mi||west||0° 00' 04.3"||0.08 mi||north||15.65 mi|
|1 hour||14° 25' 49.2"||938.52 mi||west||0° 04' 25.4"||5.07 mi||north||938.75 mi|
|24 hours||13° 23' 07.1"||870.59 mi||east||2° 17' 52.9"||158.06 mi||north||890.78 mi|
Locations with the moon near zenith
The following table shows 10 locations with moon near zenith position in the sky.
|Cairns||Sun 6:48 PM||414 km||258 miles||224 nm||NE|
|Tennant Creek||Sun 6:18 PM||968 km||601 miles||523 nm||W|
|Alice Springs||Sun 6:18 PM||1073 km||667 miles||579 nm||WSW|
|Port Moresby||Sun 6:48 PM||1227 km||762 miles||662 nm||NNE|
|Brisbane||Sun 6:48 PM||1287 km||800 miles||695 nm||SE|
|Darwin||Sun 6:18 PM||1577 km||980 miles||852 nm||WNW|
|Sydney||Sun 6:48 PM||1726 km||1073 miles||932 nm||SSE|
|Adelaide||Sun 6:18 PM||1730 km||1075 miles||934 nm||SSW|
|Canberra||Sun 6:48 PM||1792 km||1114 miles||968 nm||SSE|
|Jayapura||Sun 5:48 PM||1945 km||1209 miles||1050 nm||N|
- Seasons Calculator
- Moon Calculator – Find times for moonrise, moonset and more
- Moon Phase Calculator – Calculate moon phases for any year
- Sunrise Calculator – Find times for sunrise, sunset and more
Related time zone tools
- The World Clock – Current times around the world
- Personal World Clock – Shows just the cities you need
- Meeting Planner – Find a suitable time for an international meeting
- Time Zone Converter – If it is 3 pm in New York, what time is it in Sydney?
- Event Time Announcer/Fixed Time – Show local times worldwide for your event.