Moon Light World Map
The map below shows where the Moon is visible from the Earth, depending on weather conditions and moon phases.
The white dot symbolizes the position of the Moon, and the yellow sun symbolizes the position of the sun.
Change time and date
|< 4 weeks||4 weeks >||March equinox|
|< 1 day||1 day >||June solstice|
|< 12 hours||12 hours >||September equinox|
|< 6 hours||6 hours >||December solstice|
|< 1 hour||1 hour >||Now/Current time|
|< 10 minutes||10 minutes >|
- The bright part of the map shows where the moon is over the horizon on Saturday, September 29, 2012 at 09:18:00 UTC.
- The Sun's position is marked with this symbol: . At this location, the Sun will be at its zenith (directly overhead) in relation to an observer.
- The Moon's position is marked with this symbol: . At this location, the Moon will be at its zenith in relation to an observer. Note that the symbol is not showing the current phase of the Moon.
Fraction of moon illuminated: 99%
|Previous phase||First Quarter||Saturday, September 22, 2012 at 7:41 PM|
|Next phase||Full Moon||Sunday, September 30, 2012 at 3:19 AM|
Position of the Moon
On Saturday, September 29, 2012 at 09:18:00 UTC the Moon is at its zenith at
The ground speed of the movement is currently 449.18 meters/second, 1617.1 km/hour, 1004.8 miles/hour or 873.1 knots. The table below shows the Moon position compared to the time and date above:
|Time||Longitude difference||Latitude difference||Total|
|1 minute||0° 14' 32.9"||16.75 mi||west||0° 00' 11.2"||0.21 mi||north||16.75 mi|
|1 hour||14° 32' 52.2"||1004.71 mi||west||0° 11' 14.5"||12.87 mi||north||1004.70 mi|
|24 hours||10° 49' 58.2"||748.14 mi||east||4° 21' 52.7"||299.91 mi||north||803.87 mi|
Locations with the moon near zenith
The following table shows 10 locations with moon near zenith position in the sky.
|Kiritimati||Sat 11:18 PM||615 km||382 miles||332 nm||WSW|
|Honolulu||Fri 11:18 PM||2102 km||1306 miles||1135 nm||NNW|
|Papeete||Fri 11:18 PM||2309 km||1435 miles||1247 nm||S|
|Fakaofo||Sat 10:18 PM||2550 km||1584 miles||1377 nm||WSW|
|Baker Island||Fri 9:18 PM||2747 km||1707 miles||1483 nm||W|
|Rarotonga||Fri 11:18 PM||2835 km||1761 miles||1531 nm||SSW|
|Apia||Sat 10:18 PM||2887 km||1794 miles||1559 nm||SW|
|Alofi||Fri 10:18 PM||3151 km||1958 miles||1701 nm||SW|
|Funafuti||Sat 9:18 PM||3451 km||2145 miles||1864 nm||WSW|
|Nukualofa||Sat 10:18 PM||3697 km||2297 miles||1996 nm||SW|
- Seasons Calculator
- Moon Calculator – Find times for moonrise, moonset and more
- Moon Phase Calculator – Calculate moon phases for any year
- Sunrise Calculator – Find times for sunrise, sunset and more
Related time zone tools
- The World Clock – Current times around the world
- Personal World Clock – Shows just the cities you need
- Meeting Planner – Find a suitable time for an international meeting
- Time Zone Converter – If it is 3 pm in New York, what time is it in Sydney?
- Event Time Announcer/Fixed Time – Show local times worldwide for your event.