Moon Light World Map
The map below shows where the Moon is visible from the Earth, depending on weather conditions and moon phases.
The white dot symbolizes the position of the Moon, and the yellow sun symbolizes the position of the sun.
Change time and date
|< 4 weeks||4 weeks >||March equinox|
|< 1 day||1 day >||June solstice|
|< 12 hours||12 hours >||September equinox|
|< 6 hours||6 hours >||December solstice|
|< 1 hour||1 hour >||Now/Current time|
|< 10 minutes||10 minutes >|
- The bright part of the map shows where the moon is over the horizon on Sunday, September 30, 2012 at 09:28:00 UTC.
- The Sun's position is marked with this symbol: . At this location, the Sun will be at its zenith (directly overhead) in relation to an observer.
- The Moon's position is marked with this symbol: . At this location, the Moon will be at its zenith in relation to an observer. Note that the symbol is not showing the current phase of the Moon.
Fraction of moon illuminated: 100%
|Previous phase||Full Moon||Sunday, September 30, 2012 at 3:20 AM|
|Next phase||Third Quarter||Monday, October 8, 2012 at 7:35 AM|
Position of the Moon
On Sunday, September 30, 2012 at 09:28:00 UTC the Moon is at its zenith at
The ground speed of the movement is currently 445.98 meters/second, 1605.5 km/hour, 997.6 miles/hour or 866.9 knots. The table below shows the Moon position compared to the time and date above:
|Time||Longitude difference||Latitude difference||Total|
|1 minute||0° 14' 32.9"||16.63 mi||west||0° 00' 10.5"||0.20 mi||north||16.63 mi|
|1 hour||14° 32' 54.7"||997.50 mi||west||0° 10' 28.1"||11.99 mi||north||997.37 mi|
|24 hours||10° 52' 24.4"||745.54 mi||east||3° 58' 28.1"||273.15 mi||north||790.21 mi|
Locations with the moon near zenith
The following table shows 10 locations with moon near zenith position in the sky.
|Kiritimati||Sun 11:28 PM||1681 km||1045 miles||908 nm||WSW|
|Honolulu||Sat 11:28 PM||2180 km||1355 miles||1177 nm||NW|
|Papeete||Sat 11:28 PM||2864 km||1780 miles||1547 nm||SSW|
|Fakaofo||Sun 10:28 PM||3623 km||2251 miles||1956 nm||WSW|
|Rarotonga||Sat 11:28 PM||3663 km||2276 miles||1978 nm||SSW|
|Baker Island||Sat 9:28 PM||3773 km||2344 miles||2037 nm||W|
|Adamstown||Sun 1:28 AM||3887 km||2415 miles||2099 nm||SSE|
|Los Angeles *||Sun 2:28 AM||3896 km||2421 miles||2104 nm||NE|
|Apia *||Sun 11:28 PM||3940 km||2448 miles||2127 nm||SW|
|San Francisco *||Sun 2:28 AM||3948 km||2453 miles||2132 nm||NNE|
- Seasons Calculator
- Moon Calculator – Find times for moonrise, moonset and more
- Moon Phase Calculator – Calculate moon phases for any year
- Sunrise Calculator – Find times for sunrise, sunset and more
Related time zone tools
- The World Clock – Current times around the world
- Personal World Clock – Shows just the cities you need
- Meeting Planner – Find a suitable time for an international meeting
- Time Zone Converter – If it is 3 pm in New York, what time is it in Sydney?
- Event Time Announcer/Fixed Time – Show local times worldwide for your event.