Moon Light World Map
The map below shows where the Moon is visible from the Earth, depending on weather conditions and moon phases.
The white dot symbolizes the position of the Moon, and the yellow sun symbolizes the position of the sun.
Change time and date
|< 4 weeks||4 weeks >||March equinox|
|< 1 day||1 day >||June solstice|
|< 12 hours||12 hours >||September equinox|
|< 6 hours||6 hours >||December solstice|
|< 1 hour||1 hour >||Now/Current time|
|< 10 minutes||10 minutes >|
- The bright part of the map shows where the moon is over the horizon on Thursday, October 4, 2012 at 13:20:00 UTC.
- The Sun's position is marked with this symbol: . At this location, the Sun will be at its zenith (directly overhead) in relation to an observer.
- The Moon's position is marked with this symbol: . At this location, the Moon will be at its zenith in relation to an observer. Note that the symbol is not showing the current phase of the Moon.
Fraction of moon illuminated: 83%
|Previous phase||Full Moon||Sunday, September 30, 2012 at 3:19 AM|
|Next phase||Third Quarter||Monday, October 8, 2012 at 7:34 AM|
Position of the Moon
On Thursday, October 4, 2012 at 13:20:00 UTC the Moon is at its zenith at
The ground speed of the movement is currently 422.19 meters/second, 1519.9 km/hour, 944.4 miles/hour or 820.7 knots. The table below shows the Moon position compared to the time and date above:
|Time||Longitude difference||Latitude difference||Total|
|1 minute||0° 14' 31.1"||15.74 mi||west||0° 00' 03.4"||0.07 mi||north||15.74 mi|
|1 hour||14° 31' 10.5"||944.16 mi||west||0° 03' 26.4"||3.95 mi||north||944.00 mi|
|24 hours||11° 35' 50.2"||754.22 mi||east||0° 56' 36.8"||64.91 mi||north||754.73 mi|
Locations with the moon near zenith
The following table shows 10 locations with moon near zenith position in the sky.
|Hilo||Thu 3:20 AM||32 km||20 miles||17 nm||SSE|
|Kailua-Kona||Thu 3:20 AM||89 km||55 miles||48 nm||WSW|
|Wailuku||Thu 3:20 AM||169 km||105 miles||91 nm||NW|
|Napili-Honokowai||Thu 3:20 AM||189 km||118 miles||102 nm||NW|
|Honolulu||Thu 3:20 AM||314 km||195 miles||169 nm||WNW|
|Kiritimati||Fri 3:20 AM||2014 km||1252 miles||1088 nm||S|
|Midway||Thu 2:20 AM||2426 km||1508 miles||1310 nm||WNW|
|Baker Island||Thu 1:20 AM||3186 km||1980 miles||1720 nm||SW|
|Fakaofo||Fri 2:20 AM||3688 km||2292 miles||1991 nm||SSW|
|San Francisco *||Thu 6:20 AM||3728 km||2317 miles||2013 nm||NE|
- Seasons Calculator
- Moon Calculator – Find times for moonrise, moonset and more
- Moon Phase Calculator – Calculate moon phases for any year
- Sunrise Calculator – Find times for sunrise, sunset and more
Related time zone tools
- The World Clock – Current times around the world
- Personal World Clock – Shows just the cities you need
- Meeting Planner – Find a suitable time for an international meeting
- Time Zone Converter – If it is 3 pm in New York, what time is it in Sydney?
- Event Time Announcer/Fixed Time – Show local times worldwide for your event.