Moon Light World Map
The map below shows where the Moon is visible from the Earth, depending on weather conditions and moon phases.
The white dot symbolizes the position of the Moon, and the yellow sun symbolizes the position of the sun.
Change time and date
|< 4 weeks||4 weeks >||March equinox|
|< 1 day||1 day >||June solstice|
|< 12 hours||12 hours >||September equinox|
|< 6 hours||6 hours >||December solstice|
|< 1 hour||1 hour >||Now/Current time|
|< 10 minutes||10 minutes >|
- The bright part of the map shows where the moon is over the horizon on Saturday, October 6, 2012 at 17:36:00 UTC.
- The Sun's position is marked with this symbol: . At this location, the Sun will be at its zenith (directly overhead) in relation to an observer.
- The Moon's position is marked with this symbol: . At this location, the Moon will be at its zenith in relation to an observer. Note that the symbol is not showing the current phase of the Moon.
Fraction of moon illuminated: 65%
|Previous phase||Full Moon||Sunday, September 30, 2012 at 3:19 AM|
|Next phase||Third Quarter||Monday, October 8, 2012 at 7:34 AM|
Position of the Moon
On Saturday, October 6, 2012 at 17:36:00 UTC the Moon is at its zenith at
The ground speed of the movement is currently 419.61 meters/second, 1510.6 km/hour, 938.7 miles/hour or 815.7 knots. The table below shows the Moon position compared to the time and date above:
|Time||Longitude difference||Latitude difference||Total|
|1 minute||0° 14' 30.6"||15.65 mi||west||0° 00' 01.6"||0.03 mi||south||15.65 mi|
|1 hour||14° 30' 42.6"||938.40 mi||west||0° 01' 36.4"||1.84 mi||south||938.48 mi|
|24 hours||11° 42' 24.9"||757.11 mi||east||1° 05' 27.7"||75.06 mi||south||763.49 mi|
Locations with the moon near zenith
The following table shows 10 locations with moon near zenith position in the sky.
|Wake Island||Sun 5:36 AM||178 km||110 miles||96 nm||SSE|
|Majuro||Sun 5:36 AM||1607 km||999 miles||868 nm||SSE|
|Palikir||Sun 4:36 AM||1763 km||1095 miles||952 nm||SSW|
|Midway||Sat 6:36 AM||1857 km||1154 miles||1003 nm||ENE|
|Tarawa||Sun 5:36 AM||2272 km||1412 miles||1227 nm||SSE|
|Yaren||Sun 5:36 AM||2364 km||1469 miles||1276 nm||S|
|Hagåtña||Sun 3:36 AM||2415 km||1501 miles||1304 nm||WSW|
|Baker Island||Sat 5:36 AM||2962 km||1841 miles||1600 nm||SE|
|Tokyo||Sun 2:36 AM||3060 km||1901 miles||1652 nm||NW|
|Honiara||Sun 4:36 AM||3414 km||2122 miles||1844 nm||SSW|
- Seasons Calculator
- Moon Calculator – Find times for moonrise, moonset and more
- Moon Phase Calculator – Calculate moon phases for any year
- Sunrise Calculator – Find times for sunrise, sunset and more
Related time zone tools
- The World Clock – Current times around the world
- Personal World Clock – Shows just the cities you need
- Meeting Planner – Find a suitable time for an international meeting
- Time Zone Converter – If it is 3 pm in New York, what time is it in Sydney?
- Event Time Announcer/Fixed Time – Show local times worldwide for your event.