Moon Light World Map
The map below shows where the Moon is visible from the Earth, depending on weather conditions and moon phases.
The white dot symbolizes the position of the Moon, and the yellow sun symbolizes the position of the sun.
Change time and date
|< 4 weeks||4 weeks >||March equinox|
|< 1 day||1 day >||June solstice|
|< 12 hours||12 hours >||September equinox|
|< 6 hours||6 hours >||December solstice|
|< 1 hour||1 hour >||Now/Current time|
|< 10 minutes||10 minutes >|
- The bright part of the map shows where the moon is over the horizon on Saturday, October 6, 2012 at 17:56:00 UTC.
- The Sun's position is marked with this symbol: . At this location, the Sun will be at its zenith (directly overhead) in relation to an observer.
- The Moon's position is marked with this symbol: . At this location, the Moon will be at its zenith in relation to an observer. Note that the symbol is not showing the current phase of the Moon.
Fraction of moon illuminated: 65%
|Previous phase||Full Moon||Sunday, September 30, 2012 at 3:19 AM|
|Next phase||Third Quarter||Monday, October 8, 2012 at 7:34 AM|
Position of the Moon
On Saturday, October 6, 2012 at 17:56:00 UTC the Moon is at its zenith at
The ground speed of the movement is currently 419.64 meters/second, 1510.7 km/hour, 938.7 miles/hour or 815.7 knots. The table below shows the Moon position compared to the time and date above:
|Time||Longitude difference||Latitude difference||Total|
|1 minute||0° 14' 30.6"||15.65 mi||west||0° 00' 01.6"||0.03 mi||south||15.65 mi|
|1 hour||14° 30' 42.6"||938.38 mi||west||0° 01' 38.4"||1.88 mi||south||938.47 mi|
|24 hours||11° 42' 23.8"||757.08 mi||east||1° 06' 14.2"||75.94 mi||south||763.57 mi|
Locations with the moon near zenith
The following table shows 10 locations with moon near zenith position in the sky.
|Wake Island||Sun 5:56 AM||583 km||362 miles||315 nm||ESE|
|Palikir||Sun 4:56 AM||1574 km||978 miles||850 nm||SSW|
|Majuro||Sun 5:56 AM||1849 km||1149 miles||998 nm||SE|
|Hagåtña||Sun 3:56 AM||1939 km||1205 miles||1047 nm||WSW|
|Midway||Sat 6:56 AM||2306 km||1433 miles||1245 nm||ENE|
|Yaren||Sun 5:56 AM||2439 km||1515 miles||1317 nm||SSE|
|Tarawa||Sun 5:56 AM||2493 km||1549 miles||1346 nm||SSE|
|Tokyo||Sun 2:56 AM||2676 km||1663 miles||1445 nm||NW|
|Melekeok||Sun 2:56 AM||3228 km||2006 miles||1743 nm||WSW|
|Baker Island||Sat 5:56 AM||3322 km||2064 miles||1794 nm||SE|
- Seasons Calculator
- Moon Calculator – Find times for moonrise, moonset and more
- Moon Phase Calculator – Calculate moon phases for any year
- Sunrise Calculator – Find times for sunrise, sunset and more
Related time zone tools
- The World Clock – Current times around the world
- Personal World Clock – Shows just the cities you need
- Meeting Planner – Find a suitable time for an international meeting
- Time Zone Converter – If it is 3 pm in New York, what time is it in Sydney?
- Event Time Announcer/Fixed Time – Show local times worldwide for your event.