Moon Light World Map
The map below shows where the Moon is visible from the Earth, depending on weather conditions and moon phases.
The white dot symbolizes the position of the Moon, and the yellow sun symbolizes the position of the sun.
Change time and date
|< 4 weeks||4 weeks >||March equinox|
|< 1 day||1 day >||June solstice|
|< 12 hours||12 hours >||September equinox|
|< 6 hours||6 hours >||December solstice|
|< 1 hour||1 hour >||Now/Current time|
|< 10 minutes||10 minutes >|
- The bright part of the map shows where the moon is over the horizon on Monday, October 8, 2012 at 18:10:00 UTC.
- The Sun's position is marked with this symbol: . At this location, the Sun will be at its zenith (directly overhead) in relation to an observer.
- The Moon's position is marked with this symbol: . At this location, the Moon will be at its zenith in relation to an observer. Note that the symbol is not showing the current phase of the Moon.
Fraction of moon illuminated: 46%
|Previous phase||Third Quarter||Monday, October 8, 2012 at 7:35 AM|
|Next phase||New Moon||Monday, October 15, 2012 at 12:04 PM|
Position of the Moon
On Monday, October 8, 2012 at 18:10:00 UTC the Moon is at its zenith at
The ground speed of the movement is currently 427.82 meters/second, 1540.2 km/hour, 957.0 miles/hour or 831.6 knots. The table below shows the Moon position compared to the time and date above:
|Time||Longitude difference||Latitude difference||Total|
|1 minute||0° 14' 30.8"||15.95 mi||west||0° 00' 06.1"||0.12 mi||south||15.95 mi|
|1 hour||14° 30' 56.2"||956.75 mi||west||0° 06' 12.1"||7.11 mi||south||957.05 mi|
|24 hours||11° 35' 53.3"||764.52 mi||east||2° 52' 44.2"||197.96 mi||south||795.31 mi|
Locations with the moon near zenith
The following table shows 10 locations with moon near zenith position in the sky.
|Midway||Mon 7:10 AM||1173 km||729 miles||633 nm||N|
|Wake Island||Tue 6:10 AM||1585 km||985 miles||856 nm||W|
|Majuro||Tue 6:10 AM||1619 km||1006 miles||874 nm||SW|
|Baker Island||Mon 6:10 AM||1945 km||1208 miles||1050 nm||S|
|Tarawa||Tue 6:10 AM||2027 km||1260 miles||1095 nm||SSW|
|Honolulu||Mon 8:10 AM||2196 km||1364 miles||1186 nm||ENE|
|Yaren||Tue 6:10 AM||2575 km||1600 miles||1390 nm||SW|
|Palikir||Tue 5:10 AM||2805 km||1743 miles||1515 nm||WSW|
|Kiritimati||Tue 8:10 AM||2894 km||1798 miles||1563 nm||SE|
|Funafuti||Tue 6:10 AM||2908 km||1807 miles||1570 nm||S|
- Seasons Calculator
- Moon Calculator – Find times for moonrise, moonset and more
- Moon Phase Calculator – Calculate moon phases for any year
- Sunrise Calculator – Find times for sunrise, sunset and more
Related time zone tools
- The World Clock – Current times around the world
- Personal World Clock – Shows just the cities you need
- Meeting Planner – Find a suitable time for an international meeting
- Time Zone Converter – If it is 3 pm in New York, what time is it in Sydney?
- Event Time Announcer/Fixed Time – Show local times worldwide for your event.