Moon Light World Map
The map below shows where the Moon is visible from the Earth, depending on weather conditions and moon phases.
The white dot symbolizes the position of the Moon, and the yellow sun symbolizes the position of the sun.
Change time and date
|< 4 weeks||4 weeks >||March equinox|
|< 1 day||1 day >||June solstice|
|< 12 hours||12 hours >||September equinox|
|< 6 hours||6 hours >||December solstice|
|< 1 hour||1 hour >||Now/Current time|
|< 10 minutes||10 minutes >|
- The bright part of the map shows where the moon is over the horizon on Thursday, October 11, 2012 at 10:28:00 UTC.
- The Sun's position is marked with this symbol: . At this location, the Sun will be at its zenith (directly overhead) in relation to an observer.
- The Moon's position is marked with this symbol: . At this location, the Moon will be at its zenith in relation to an observer. Note that the symbol is not showing the current phase of the Moon.
Fraction of moon illuminated: 20%
|Previous phase||Third Quarter||Monday, October 8, 2012 at 7:35 AM|
|Next phase||New Moon||Monday, October 15, 2012 at 12:04 PM|
Position of the Moon
On Thursday, October 11, 2012 at 10:28:00 UTC the Moon is at its zenith at
The ground speed of the movement is currently 444.20 meters/second, 1599.1 km/hour, 993.6 miles/hour or 863.5 knots. The table below shows the Moon position compared to the time and date above:
|Time||Longitude difference||Latitude difference||Total|
|1 minute||0° 14' 30.8"||16.56 mi||west||0° 00' 11.0"||0.21 mi||south||16.56 mi|
|1 hour||14° 30' 52.1"||993.50 mi||west||0° 11' 01.4"||12.63 mi||south||993.81 mi|
|24 hours||11° 44' 31.4"||803.75 mi||east||4° 38' 17.7"||318.72 mi||south||868.20 mi|
Locations with the moon near zenith
The following table shows 10 locations with moon near zenith position in the sky.
|Praia||Thu 9:28 AM||1169 km||727 miles||631 nm||NE|
|Fortaleza||Thu 7:28 AM||1526 km||948 miles||824 nm||SSW|
|Dakar||Thu 10:28 AM||1726 km||1072 miles||932 nm||ENE|
|Banjul||Thu 10:28 AM||1767 km||1098 miles||954 nm||ENE|
|Bissau||Thu 10:28 AM||1828 km||1136 miles||987 nm||ENE|
|Recife||Thu 7:28 AM||1843 km||1145 miles||995 nm||S|
|Conakry||Thu 10:28 AM||2002 km||1244 miles||1081 nm||E|
|Nouakchott||Thu 10:28 AM||2033 km||1263 miles||1098 nm||NE|
|Freetown||Thu 10:28 AM||2053 km||1276 miles||1108 nm||E|
|Belém||Thu 7:28 AM||2135 km||1327 miles||1153 nm||WSW|
- Seasons Calculator
- Moon Calculator – Find times for moonrise, moonset and more
- Moon Phase Calculator – Calculate moon phases for any year
- Sunrise Calculator – Find times for sunrise, sunset and more
Related time zone tools
- The World Clock – Current times around the world
- Personal World Clock – Shows just the cities you need
- Meeting Planner – Find a suitable time for an international meeting
- Time Zone Converter – If it is 3 pm in New York, what time is it in Sydney?
- Event Time Announcer/Fixed Time – Show local times worldwide for your event.