Moon Light World Map
The map below shows where the Moon is visible from the Earth, depending on weather conditions and moon phases.
The white dot symbolizes the position of the Moon, and the yellow sun symbolizes the position of the sun.
Change time and date
|< 4 weeks||4 weeks >||March equinox|
|< 1 day||1 day >||June solstice|
|< 12 hours||12 hours >||September equinox|
|< 6 hours||6 hours >||December solstice|
|< 1 hour||1 hour >||Now/Current time|
|< 10 minutes||10 minutes >|
- The bright part of the map shows where the moon is over the horizon on Thursday, October 11, 2012 at 19:18:00 UTC.
- The Sun's position is marked with this symbol: . At this location, the Sun will be at its zenith (directly overhead) in relation to an observer.
- The Moon's position is marked with this symbol: . At this location, the Moon will be at its zenith in relation to an observer. Note that the symbol is not showing the current phase of the Moon.
Fraction of moon illuminated: 17%
|Previous phase||Third Quarter||Monday, October 8, 2012 at 7:34 AM|
|Next phase||New Moon||Monday, October 15, 2012 at 12:03 PM|
Position of the Moon
On Thursday, October 11, 2012 at 19:18:00 UTC the Moon is at its zenith at
The ground speed of the movement is currently 445.80 meters/second, 1604.9 km/hour, 997.2 miles/hour or 866.6 knots. The table below shows the Moon position compared to the time and date above:
|Time||Longitude difference||Latitude difference||Total|
|1 minute||0° 14' 30.6"||16.62 mi||west||0° 00' 11.5"||0.22 mi||south||16.62 mi|
|1 hour||14° 30' 42.8"||997.16 mi||west||0° 11' 29.4"||13.16 mi||south||997.44 mi|
|24 hours||11° 49' 47.2"||812.87 mi||east||4° 47' 19.6"||329.07 mi||south||879.73 mi|
Locations with the moon near zenith
The following table shows 10 locations with moon near zenith position in the sky.
|Kiritimati||Fri 9:18 AM||624 km||388 miles||337 nm||SSE|
|Honolulu||Thu 9:18 AM||1646 km||1023 miles||889 nm||N|
|Baker Island||Thu 7:18 AM||1928 km||1198 miles||1041 nm||WSW|
|Fakaofo||Fri 8:18 AM||2142 km||1331 miles||1157 nm||SW|
|Apia *||Fri 9:18 AM||2592 km||1610 miles||1399 nm||SSW|
|Funafuti||Fri 7:18 AM||2820 km||1752 miles||1523 nm||SW|
|Papeete||Thu 9:18 AM||2924 km||1817 miles||1579 nm||SSE|
|Midway||Thu 8:18 AM||2988 km||1856 miles||1613 nm||NW|
|Tarawa||Fri 7:18 AM||3014 km||1873 miles||1628 nm||W|
|Alofi||Thu 8:18 AM||3028 km||1882 miles||1635 nm||SSW|
- Seasons Calculator
- Moon Calculator – Find times for moonrise, moonset and more
- Moon Phase Calculator – Calculate moon phases for any year
- Sunrise Calculator – Find times for sunrise, sunset and more
Related time zone tools
- The World Clock – Current times around the world
- Personal World Clock – Shows just the cities you need
- Meeting Planner – Find a suitable time for an international meeting
- Time Zone Converter – If it is 3 pm in New York, what time is it in Sydney?
- Event Time Announcer/Fixed Time – Show local times worldwide for your event.