Moon Light World Map
The map below shows where the Moon is visible from the Earth, depending on weather conditions and moon phases.
The white dot symbolizes the position of the Moon, and the yellow sun symbolizes the position of the sun.
Change time and date
|< 4 weeks||4 weeks >||March equinox|
|< 1 day||1 day >||June solstice|
|< 12 hours||12 hours >||September equinox|
|< 6 hours||6 hours >||December solstice|
|< 1 hour||1 hour >||Now/Current time|
|< 10 minutes||10 minutes >|
- The bright part of the map shows where the moon is over the horizon on Thursday, October 11, 2012 at 19:38:00 UTC.
- The Sun's position is marked with this symbol: . At this location, the Sun will be at its zenith (directly overhead) in relation to an observer.
- The Moon's position is marked with this symbol: . At this location, the Moon will be at its zenith in relation to an observer. Note that the symbol is not showing the current phase of the Moon.
Fraction of moon illuminated: 17%
|Previous phase||Third Quarter||Monday, October 8, 2012 at 7:35 AM|
|Next phase||New Moon||Monday, October 15, 2012 at 12:04 PM|
Position of the Moon
On Thursday, October 11, 2012 at 19:38:00 UTC the Moon is at its zenith at
The ground speed of the movement is currently 445.85 meters/second, 1605.1 km/hour, 997.3 miles/hour or 866.7 knots. The table below shows the Moon position compared to the time and date above:
|Time||Longitude difference||Latitude difference||Total|
|1 minute||0° 14' 30.6"||16.62 mi||west||0° 00' 11.5"||0.22 mi||south||16.62 mi|
|1 hour||14° 30' 42.6"||997.20 mi||west||0° 11' 30.3"||13.18 mi||south||997.48 mi|
|24 hours||11° 49' 59.9"||813.15 mi||east||4° 47' 36.9"||329.38 mi||south||880.07 mi|
Locations with the moon near zenith
The following table shows 10 locations with moon near zenith position in the sky.
|Kiritimati||Fri 9:38 AM||989 km||615 miles||534 nm||ESE|
|Baker Island||Thu 7:38 AM||1465 km||911 miles||791 nm||WSW|
|Honolulu||Thu 9:38 AM||1799 km||1118 miles||972 nm||NNE|
|Fakaofo||Fri 8:38 AM||1897 km||1179 miles||1024 nm||SSW|
|Apia *||Fri 9:38 AM||2380 km||1479 miles||1285 nm||SSW|
|Funafuti||Fri 7:38 AM||2426 km||1508 miles||1310 nm||SW|
|Tarawa||Fri 7:38 AM||2517 km||1564 miles||1359 nm||WSW|
|Majuro||Fri 7:38 AM||2641 km||1641 miles||1426 nm||W|
|Midway||Thu 8:38 AM||2732 km||1697 miles||1475 nm||NNW|
|Alofi||Thu 8:38 AM||2887 km||1794 miles||1559 nm||S|
- Seasons Calculator
- Moon Calculator – Find times for moonrise, moonset and more
- Moon Phase Calculator – Calculate moon phases for any year
- Sunrise Calculator – Find times for sunrise, sunset and more
Related time zone tools
- The World Clock – Current times around the world
- Personal World Clock – Shows just the cities you need
- Meeting Planner – Find a suitable time for an international meeting
- Time Zone Converter – If it is 3 pm in New York, what time is it in Sydney?
- Event Time Announcer/Fixed Time – Show local times worldwide for your event.