Moon Light World Map
The map below shows where the Moon is visible from the Earth, depending on weather conditions and moon phases.
The white dot symbolizes the position of the Moon, and the yellow sun symbolizes the position of the sun.
Change time and date
|< 4 weeks||4 weeks >||March equinox|
|< 1 day||1 day >||June solstice|
|< 12 hours||12 hours >||September equinox|
|< 6 hours||6 hours >||December solstice|
|< 1 hour||1 hour >||Now/Current time|
|< 10 minutes||10 minutes >|
- The bright part of the map shows where the moon is over the horizon on Thursday, October 11, 2012 at 20:08:00 UTC.
- The Sun's position is marked with this symbol: . At this location, the Sun will be at its zenith (directly overhead) in relation to an observer.
- The Moon's position is marked with this symbol: . At this location, the Moon will be at its zenith in relation to an observer. Note that the symbol is not showing the current phase of the Moon.
Fraction of moon illuminated: 17%
|Previous phase||Third Quarter||Monday, October 8, 2012 at 7:34 AM|
|Next phase||New Moon||Monday, October 15, 2012 at 12:03 PM|
Position of the Moon
On Thursday, October 11, 2012 at 20:08:00 UTC the Moon is at its zenith at
The ground speed of the movement is currently 445.93 meters/second, 1605.4 km/hour, 997.5 miles/hour or 866.8 knots. The table below shows the Moon position compared to the time and date above:
|Time||Longitude difference||Latitude difference||Total|
|1 minute||0° 14' 30.6"||16.62 mi||west||0° 00' 11.5"||0.22 mi||south||16.63 mi|
|1 hour||14° 30' 41.9"||997.39 mi||west||0° 11' 31.8"||13.21 mi||south||997.67 mi|
|24 hours||11° 50' 20.9"||813.72 mi||east||4° 48' 05.2"||329.92 mi||south||880.74 mi|
Locations with the moon near zenith
The following table shows 10 locations with moon near zenith position in the sky.
|Baker Island||Thu 8:08 AM||827 km||514 miles||446 nm||SSW|
|Tarawa||Fri 8:08 AM||1710 km||1063 miles||924 nm||WSW|
|Kiritimati||Fri 10:08 AM||1752 km||1089 miles||946 nm||ESE|
|Fakaofo||Fri 9:08 AM||1757 km||1092 miles||949 nm||S|
|Majuro||Fri 8:08 AM||1810 km||1125 miles||977 nm||W|
|Funafuti||Fri 8:08 AM||1899 km||1180 miles||1025 nm||SSW|
|Apia *||Fri 10:08 AM||2247 km||1396 miles||1213 nm||S|
|Honolulu||Thu 10:08 AM||2272 km||1412 miles||1227 nm||NE|
|Yaren||Fri 8:08 AM||2421 km||1504 miles||1307 nm||WSW|
|Midway||Thu 9:08 AM||2462 km||1530 miles||1329 nm||NNW|
- Seasons Calculator
- Moon Calculator – Find times for moonrise, moonset and more
- Moon Phase Calculator – Calculate moon phases for any year
- Sunrise Calculator – Find times for sunrise, sunset and more
Related time zone tools
- The World Clock – Current times around the world
- Personal World Clock – Shows just the cities you need
- Meeting Planner – Find a suitable time for an international meeting
- Time Zone Converter – If it is 3 pm in New York, what time is it in Sydney?
- Event Time Announcer/Fixed Time – Show local times worldwide for your event.