Moon Light World Map
The map below shows where the Moon is visible from the Earth, depending on weather conditions and moon phases.
The white dot symbolizes the position of the Moon, and the yellow sun symbolizes the position of the sun.
Change time and date
|< 4 weeks||4 weeks >||March equinox|
|< 1 day||1 day >||June solstice|
|< 12 hours||12 hours >||September equinox|
|< 6 hours||6 hours >||December solstice|
|< 1 hour||1 hour >||Now/Current time|
|< 10 minutes||10 minutes >|
- The bright part of the map shows where the moon is over the horizon on Thursday, October 11, 2012 at 20:28:00 UTC.
- The Sun's position is marked with this symbol: . At this location, the Sun will be at its zenith (directly overhead) in relation to an observer.
- The Moon's position is marked with this symbol: . At this location, the Moon will be at its zenith in relation to an observer. Note that the symbol is not showing the current phase of the Moon.
Fraction of moon illuminated: 17%
|Previous phase||Third Quarter||Monday, October 8, 2012 at 7:34 AM|
|Next phase||New Moon||Monday, October 15, 2012 at 12:03 PM|
Position of the Moon
On Thursday, October 11, 2012 at 20:28:00 UTC the Moon is at its zenith at
The ground speed of the movement is currently 445.99 meters/second, 1605.5 km/hour, 997.6 miles/hour or 866.9 knots. The table below shows the Moon position compared to the time and date above:
|Time||Longitude difference||Latitude difference||Total|
|1 minute||0° 14' 30.6"||16.63 mi||west||0° 00' 11.5"||0.22 mi||south||16.63 mi|
|1 hour||14° 30' 41.4"||997.58 mi||west||0° 11' 32.8"||13.22 mi||south||997.85 mi|
|24 hours||11° 50' 34.5"||814.14 mi||east||4° 48' 23.2"||330.28 mi||south||881.24 mi|
Locations with the moon near zenith
The following table shows 10 locations with moon near zenith position in the sky.
|Baker Island||Thu 8:28 AM||693 km||431 miles||374 nm||S|
|Tarawa||Fri 8:28 AM||1212 km||753 miles||655 nm||WSW|
|Majuro||Fri 8:28 AM||1276 km||793 miles||689 nm||W|
|Funafuti||Fri 8:28 AM||1696 km||1054 miles||916 nm||SSW|
|Fakaofo||Fri 9:28 AM||1869 km||1161 miles||1009 nm||SSE|
|Yaren||Fri 8:28 AM||1917 km||1191 miles||1035 nm||WSW|
|Wake Island||Fri 8:28 AM||2249 km||1397 miles||1214 nm||NW|
|Kiritimati||Fri 10:28 AM||2270 km||1411 miles||1226 nm||ESE|
|Apia *||Fri 10:28 AM||2320 km||1441 miles||1253 nm||SSE|
|Midway||Thu 9:28 AM||2413 km||1500 miles||1303 nm||N|
- Seasons Calculator
- Moon Calculator – Find times for moonrise, moonset and more
- Moon Phase Calculator – Calculate moon phases for any year
- Sunrise Calculator – Find times for sunrise, sunset and more
Related time zone tools
- The World Clock – Current times around the world
- Personal World Clock – Shows just the cities you need
- Meeting Planner – Find a suitable time for an international meeting
- Time Zone Converter – If it is 3 pm in New York, what time is it in Sydney?
- Event Time Announcer/Fixed Time – Show local times worldwide for your event.