Moon Light World Map
The map below shows where the Moon is visible from the Earth, depending on weather conditions and moon phases.
The white dot symbolizes the position of the Moon, and the yellow sun symbolizes the position of the sun.
Change time and date
|< 4 weeks||4 weeks >||March equinox|
|< 1 day||1 day >||June solstice|
|< 12 hours||12 hours >||September equinox|
|< 6 hours||6 hours >||December solstice|
|< 1 hour||1 hour >||Now/Current time|
|< 10 minutes||10 minutes >|
- The bright part of the map shows where the moon is over the horizon on Thursday, October 11, 2012 at 20:28:00 UTC.
- The Sun's position is marked with this symbol: . At this location, the Sun will be at its zenith (directly overhead) in relation to an observer.
- The Moon's position is marked with this symbol: . At this location, the Moon will be at its zenith in relation to an observer. Note that the symbol is not showing the current phase of the Moon.
Fraction of moon illuminated: 17%
|Previous phase||Third Quarter||Monday, October 8, 2012 at 7:35 AM|
|Next phase||New Moon||Monday, October 15, 2012 at 12:04 PM|
Position of the Moon
On Thursday, October 11, 2012 at 20:28:00 UTC the Moon is at its zenith at
The ground speed of the movement is currently 445.98 meters/second, 1605.5 km/hour, 997.6 miles/hour or 866.9 knots. The table below shows the Moon position compared to the time and date above:
|Time||Longitude difference||Latitude difference||Total|
|1 minute||0° 14' 30.6"||16.63 mi||west||0° 00' 11.5"||0.22 mi||south||16.63 mi|
|1 hour||14° 30' 41.4"||997.50 mi||west||0° 11' 32.7"||13.22 mi||south||997.78 mi|
|24 hours||11° 50' 33.6"||814.06 mi||east||4° 48' 22.2"||330.24 mi||south||881.15 mi|
Locations with the moon near zenith
The following table shows 10 locations with moon near zenith position in the sky.
|Baker Island||Thu 8:28 AM||690 km||429 miles||373 nm||S|
|Tarawa||Fri 8:28 AM||1239 km||770 miles||669 nm||WSW|
|Majuro||Fri 8:28 AM||1306 km||812 miles||705 nm||W|
|Funafuti||Fri 8:28 AM||1703 km||1058 miles||920 nm||SSW|
|Fakaofo||Fri 9:28 AM||1859 km||1155 miles||1004 nm||SSE|
|Yaren||Fri 8:28 AM||1944 km||1208 miles||1050 nm||WSW|
|Kiritimati||Fri 10:28 AM||2241 km||1392 miles||1210 nm||ESE|
|Wake Island||Fri 8:28 AM||2271 km||1411 miles||1226 nm||NW|
|Apia *||Fri 10:28 AM||2313 km||1437 miles||1249 nm||SSE|
|Midway||Thu 9:28 AM||2413 km||1500 miles||1303 nm||N|
- Seasons Calculator
- Moon Calculator – Find times for moonrise, moonset and more
- Moon Phase Calculator – Calculate moon phases for any year
- Sunrise Calculator – Find times for sunrise, sunset and more
Related time zone tools
- The World Clock – Current times around the world
- Personal World Clock – Shows just the cities you need
- Meeting Planner – Find a suitable time for an international meeting
- Time Zone Converter – If it is 3 pm in New York, what time is it in Sydney?
- Event Time Announcer/Fixed Time – Show local times worldwide for your event.