Moon Light World Map
The map below shows where the Moon is visible from the Earth, depending on weather conditions and moon phases.
The white dot symbolizes the position of the Moon, and the yellow sun symbolizes the position of the sun.
Change time and date
|< 4 weeks||4 weeks >||March equinox|
|< 1 day||1 day >||June solstice|
|< 12 hours||12 hours >||September equinox|
|< 6 hours||6 hours >||December solstice|
|< 1 hour||1 hour >||Now/Current time|
|< 10 minutes||10 minutes >|
- The bright part of the map shows where the moon is over the horizon on Thursday, October 11, 2012 at 20:48:00 UTC.
- The Sun's position is marked with this symbol: . At this location, the Sun will be at its zenith (directly overhead) in relation to an observer.
- The Moon's position is marked with this symbol: . At this location, the Moon will be at its zenith in relation to an observer. Note that the symbol is not showing the current phase of the Moon.
Fraction of moon illuminated: 17%
|Previous phase||Third Quarter||Monday, October 8, 2012 at 7:35 AM|
|Next phase||New Moon||Monday, October 15, 2012 at 12:04 PM|
Position of the Moon
On Thursday, October 11, 2012 at 20:48:00 UTC the Moon is at its zenith at
The ground speed of the movement is currently 446.03 meters/second, 1605.7 km/hour, 997.8 miles/hour or 867.0 knots. The table below shows the Moon position compared to the time and date above:
|Time||Longitude difference||Latitude difference||Total|
|1 minute||0° 14' 30.6"||16.63 mi||west||0° 00' 11.5"||0.22 mi||south||16.63 mi|
|1 hour||14° 30' 41.1"||997.62 mi||west||0° 11' 33.7"||13.24 mi||south||997.89 mi|
|24 hours||348° 09' 12.4"||814.42 mi||west||4° 48' 39.9"||330.58 mi||south||881.58 mi|
Locations with the moon near zenith
The following table shows 10 locations with moon near zenith position in the sky.
|Majuro||Fri 8:48 AM||774 km||481 miles||418 nm||W|
|Tarawa||Fri 8:48 AM||791 km||491 miles||427 nm||SW|
|Baker Island||Thu 8:48 AM||905 km||562 miles||488 nm||SE|
|Yaren||Fri 8:48 AM||1462 km||909 miles||790 nm||WSW|
|Funafuti||Fri 8:48 AM||1648 km||1024 miles||890 nm||S|
|Wake Island||Fri 8:48 AM||1898 km||1179 miles||1025 nm||NW|
|Fakaofo||Fri 9:48 AM||2099 km||1304 miles||1133 nm||SE|
|Palikir||Fri 7:48 AM||2211 km||1374 miles||1194 nm||W|
|Midway||Thu 9:48 AM||2466 km||1532 miles||1331 nm||N|
|Apia *||Fri 10:48 AM||2494 km||1550 miles||1347 nm||SSE|
- Seasons Calculator
- Moon Calculator – Find times for moonrise, moonset and more
- Moon Phase Calculator – Calculate moon phases for any year
- Sunrise Calculator – Find times for sunrise, sunset and more
Related time zone tools
- The World Clock – Current times around the world
- Personal World Clock – Shows just the cities you need
- Meeting Planner – Find a suitable time for an international meeting
- Time Zone Converter – If it is 3 pm in New York, what time is it in Sydney?
- Event Time Announcer/Fixed Time – Show local times worldwide for your event.