Moon Light World Map
The map below shows where the Moon is visible from the Earth, depending on weather conditions and moon phases.
The white dot symbolizes the position of the Moon, and the yellow sun symbolizes the position of the sun.
Change time and date
|< 4 weeks||4 weeks >||March equinox|
|< 1 day||1 day >||June solstice|
|< 12 hours||12 hours >||September equinox|
|< 6 hours||6 hours >||December solstice|
|< 1 hour||1 hour >||Now/Current time|
|< 10 minutes||10 minutes >|
- The bright part of the map shows where the moon is over the horizon on Thursday, October 11, 2012 at 21:18:00 UTC.
- The Sun's position is marked with this symbol: . At this location, the Sun will be at its zenith (directly overhead) in relation to an observer.
- The Moon's position is marked with this symbol: . At this location, the Moon will be at its zenith in relation to an observer. Note that the symbol is not showing the current phase of the Moon.
Fraction of moon illuminated: 17%
|Previous phase||Third Quarter||Monday, October 8, 2012 at 7:34 AM|
|Next phase||New Moon||Monday, October 15, 2012 at 12:03 PM|
Position of the Moon
On Thursday, October 11, 2012 at 21:18:00 UTC the Moon is at its zenith at
The ground speed of the movement is currently 446.11 meters/second, 1606.0 km/hour, 997.9 miles/hour or 867.2 knots. The table below shows the Moon position compared to the time and date above:
|Time||Longitude difference||Latitude difference||Total|
|1 minute||0° 14' 30.6"||16.63 mi||west||0° 00' 11.5"||0.22 mi||south||16.63 mi|
|1 hour||14° 30' 40.5"||997.87 mi||west||0° 11' 35.2"||13.27 mi||south||998.14 mi|
|24 hours||348° 08' 50.9"||815.05 mi||west||4° 49' 07.3"||331.12 mi||south||882.32 mi|
Locations with the moon near zenith
The following table shows 10 locations with moon near zenith position in the sky.
|Majuro||Fri 9:18 AM||118 km||73 miles||64 nm||NNE|
|Tarawa||Fri 9:18 AM||596 km||370 miles||322 nm||SSE|
|Yaren||Fri 9:18 AM||856 km||532 miles||462 nm||SSW|
|Palikir||Fri 8:18 AM||1380 km||858 miles||745 nm||W|
|Wake Island||Fri 9:18 AM||1505 km||935 miles||813 nm||NNW|
|Baker Island||Thu 9:18 AM||1581 km||982 miles||854 nm||ESE|
|Funafuti||Fri 9:18 AM||1891 km||1175 miles||1021 nm||SSE|
|Honiara||Fri 8:18 AM||2100 km||1305 miles||1134 nm||SW|
|Fakaofo||Fri 10:18 AM||2651 km||1647 miles||1432 nm||SE|
|Port Vila||Fri 8:18 AM||2665 km||1656 miles||1439 nm||S|
- Seasons Calculator
- Moon Calculator – Find times for moonrise, moonset and more
- Moon Phase Calculator – Calculate moon phases for any year
- Sunrise Calculator – Find times for sunrise, sunset and more
Related time zone tools
- The World Clock – Current times around the world
- Personal World Clock – Shows just the cities you need
- Meeting Planner – Find a suitable time for an international meeting
- Time Zone Converter – If it is 3 pm in New York, what time is it in Sydney?
- Event Time Announcer/Fixed Time – Show local times worldwide for your event.