Moon Light World Map
The map below shows where the Moon is visible from the Earth, depending on weather conditions and moon phases.
The white dot symbolizes the position of the Moon, and the yellow sun symbolizes the position of the sun.
Change time and date
|< 4 weeks||4 weeks >||March equinox|
|< 1 day||1 day >||June solstice|
|< 12 hours||12 hours >||September equinox|
|< 6 hours||6 hours >||December solstice|
|< 1 hour||1 hour >||Now/Current time|
|< 10 minutes||10 minutes >|
- The bright part of the map shows where the moon is over the horizon on Friday, October 12, 2012 at 20:28:00 UTC.
- The Sun's position is marked with this symbol: . At this location, the Sun will be at its zenith (directly overhead) in relation to an observer.
- The Moon's position is marked with this symbol: . At this location, the Moon will be at its zenith in relation to an observer. Note that the symbol is not showing the current phase of the Moon.
Fraction of moon illuminated: 10%
|Previous phase||Third Quarter||Monday, October 8, 2012 at 7:34 AM|
|Next phase||New Moon||Monday, October 15, 2012 at 12:03 PM|
Position of the Moon
On Friday, October 12, 2012 at 20:28:00 UTC the Moon is at its zenith at
The ground speed of the movement is currently 448.25 meters/second, 1613.7 km/hour, 1002.7 miles/hour or 871.3 knots. The table below shows the Moon position compared to the time and date above:
|Time||Longitude difference||Latitude difference||Total|
|1 minute||0° 14' 29.9"||16.71 mi||west||0° 00' 12.3"||0.24 mi||south||16.71 mi|
|1 hour||14° 30' 00.0"||1002.65 mi||west||0° 12' 25.7"||14.23 mi||south||1002.80 mi|
|24 hours||12° 11' 47.5"||843.37 mi||east||5° 02' 25.3"||346.34 mi||south||911.67 mi|
Locations with the moon near zenith
The following table shows 10 locations with moon near zenith position in the sky.
|Rawaki||Sat 9:28 AM||832 km||517 miles||449 nm||SW|
|Kiritimati||Sat 10:28 AM||902 km||560 miles||487 nm||E|
|Baker Island||Fri 8:28 AM||1239 km||770 miles||669 nm||W|
|Fakaofo||Sat 9:28 AM||1373 km||853 miles||741 nm||SSW|
|Apia *||Sat 10:28 AM||1845 km||1146 miles||996 nm||SSW|
|Funafuti||Sat 8:28 AM||2038 km||1266 miles||1100 nm||WSW|
|Honolulu||Fri 10:28 AM||2330 km||1448 miles||1258 nm||NNE|
|Alofi||Fri 9:28 AM||2336 km||1452 miles||1262 nm||SSW|
|Tarawa||Sat 8:28 AM||2400 km||1491 miles||1296 nm||W|
|Rarotonga||Fri 10:28 AM||2600 km||1616 miles||1404 nm||SSE|
- Seasons Calculator
- Moon Calculator – Find times for moonrise, moonset and more
- Moon Phase Calculator – Calculate moon phases for any year
- Sunrise Calculator – Find times for sunrise, sunset and more
Related time zone tools
- The World Clock – Current times around the world
- Personal World Clock – Shows just the cities you need
- Meeting Planner – Find a suitable time for an international meeting
- Time Zone Converter – If it is 3 pm in New York, what time is it in Sydney?
- Event Time Announcer/Fixed Time – Show local times worldwide for your event.