Moon Light World Map
The map below shows where the Moon is visible from the Earth, depending on weather conditions and moon phases.
The white dot symbolizes the position of the Moon, and the yellow sun symbolizes the position of the sun.
Change time and date
|< 4 weeks||4 weeks >||March equinox|
|< 1 day||1 day >||June solstice|
|< 12 hours||12 hours >||September equinox|
|< 6 hours||6 hours >||December solstice|
|< 1 hour||1 hour >||Now/Current time|
|< 10 minutes||10 minutes >|
- The bright part of the map shows where the moon is over the horizon on Friday, October 12, 2012 at 20:38:00 UTC.
- The Sun's position is marked with this symbol: . At this location, the Sun will be at its zenith (directly overhead) in relation to an observer.
- The Moon's position is marked with this symbol: . At this location, the Moon will be at its zenith in relation to an observer. Note that the symbol is not showing the current phase of the Moon.
Fraction of moon illuminated: 10%
|Previous phase||Third Quarter||Monday, October 8, 2012 at 7:35 AM|
|Next phase||New Moon||Monday, October 15, 2012 at 12:04 PM|
Position of the Moon
On Friday, October 12, 2012 at 20:38:00 UTC the Moon is at its zenith at
The ground speed of the movement is currently 448.25 meters/second, 1613.7 km/hour, 1002.7 miles/hour or 871.3 knots. The table below shows the Moon position compared to the time and date above:
|Time||Longitude difference||Latitude difference||Total|
|1 minute||0° 14' 29.9"||16.71 mi||west||0° 00' 12.3"||0.24 mi||south||16.71 mi|
|1 hour||14° 29' 59.5"||1002.59 mi||west||0° 12' 25.8"||14.24 mi||south||1002.74 mi|
|24 hours||12° 11' 57.2"||843.51 mi||east||5° 02' 27.4"||346.36 mi||south||911.79 mi|
Locations with the moon near zenith
The following table shows 10 locations with moon near zenith position in the sky.
|Rawaki||Sat 9:38 AM||681 km||423 miles||368 nm||SSW|
|Baker Island||Fri 8:38 AM||1002 km||623 miles||541 nm||W|
|Kiritimati||Sat 10:38 AM||1141 km||709 miles||616 nm||E|
|Fakaofo||Sat 9:38 AM||1276 km||793 miles||689 nm||SSW|
|Apia *||Sat 10:38 AM||1765 km||1097 miles||953 nm||SSW|
|Funafuti||Sat 8:38 AM||1841 km||1144 miles||994 nm||SW|
|Tarawa||Sat 8:38 AM||2161 km||1343 miles||1167 nm||W|
|Alofi||Fri 9:38 AM||2295 km||1426 miles||1239 nm||S|
|Honolulu||Fri 10:38 AM||2425 km||1507 miles||1310 nm||NNE|
|Majuro||Sat 8:38 AM||2434 km||1512 miles||1314 nm||WNW|
- Seasons Calculator
- Moon Calculator – Find times for moonrise, moonset and more
- Moon Phase Calculator – Calculate moon phases for any year
- Sunrise Calculator – Find times for sunrise, sunset and more
Related time zone tools
- The World Clock – Current times around the world
- Personal World Clock – Shows just the cities you need
- Meeting Planner – Find a suitable time for an international meeting
- Time Zone Converter – If it is 3 pm in New York, what time is it in Sydney?
- Event Time Announcer/Fixed Time – Show local times worldwide for your event.