Moon Light World Map
The map below shows where the Moon is visible from the Earth, depending on weather conditions and moon phases.
The white dot symbolizes the position of the Moon, and the yellow sun symbolizes the position of the sun.
Change time and date
|< 4 weeks||4 weeks >||March equinox|
|< 1 day||1 day >||June solstice|
|< 12 hours||12 hours >||September equinox|
|< 6 hours||6 hours >||December solstice|
|< 1 hour||1 hour >||Now/Current time|
|< 10 minutes||10 minutes >|
- The bright part of the map shows where the moon is over the horizon on Friday, October 12, 2012 at 21:18:00 UTC.
- The Sun's position is marked with this symbol: . At this location, the Sun will be at its zenith (directly overhead) in relation to an observer.
- The Moon's position is marked with this symbol: . At this location, the Moon will be at its zenith in relation to an observer. Note that the symbol is not showing the current phase of the Moon.
Fraction of moon illuminated: 9%
|Previous phase||Third Quarter||Monday, October 8, 2012 at 7:35 AM|
|Next phase||New Moon||Monday, October 15, 2012 at 12:04 PM|
Position of the Moon
On Friday, October 12, 2012 at 21:18:00 UTC the Moon is at its zenith at
The ground speed of the movement is currently 448.27 meters/second, 1613.8 km/hour, 1002.8 miles/hour or 871.4 knots. The table below shows the Moon position compared to the time and date above:
|Time||Longitude difference||Latitude difference||Total|
|1 minute||0° 14' 29.9"||16.71 mi||west||0° 00' 12.3"||0.24 mi||south||16.71 mi|
|1 hour||14° 29' 58.0"||1002.63 mi||west||0° 12' 26.8"||14.25 mi||south||1002.77 mi|
|24 hours||12° 12' 41.0"||844.41 mi||east||5° 02' 36.8"||346.53 mi||south||912.60 mi|
Locations with the moon near zenith
The following table shows 10 locations with moon near zenith position in the sky.
|Howland Island||Fri 9:18 AM||99 km||61 miles||53 nm||SE|
|Baker Island||Fri 9:18 AM||162 km||100 miles||87 nm||SSE|
|Rawaki||Sat 10:18 AM||924 km||574 miles||499 nm||SE|
|Tarawa||Sat 9:18 AM||1085 km||674 miles||586 nm||W|
|Funafuti||Sat 9:18 AM||1168 km||726 miles||631 nm||SSW|
|Fakaofo||Sat 10:18 AM||1368 km||850 miles||739 nm||SSE|
|Majuro||Sat 9:18 AM||1429 km||888 miles||772 nm||WNW|
|Yaren||Sat 9:18 AM||1776 km||1104 miles||959 nm||W|
|Apia *||Sat 11:18 AM||1793 km||1114 miles||968 nm||SSE|
|Suva||Sat 9:18 AM||2216 km||1377 miles||1196 nm||SSW|
- Seasons Calculator
- Moon Calculator – Find times for moonrise, moonset and more
- Moon Phase Calculator – Calculate moon phases for any year
- Sunrise Calculator – Find times for sunrise, sunset and more
Related time zone tools
- The World Clock – Current times around the world
- Personal World Clock – Shows just the cities you need
- Meeting Planner – Find a suitable time for an international meeting
- Time Zone Converter – If it is 3 pm in New York, what time is it in Sydney?
- Event Time Announcer/Fixed Time – Show local times worldwide for your event.