Moon Light World Map
The map below shows where the Moon is visible from the Earth, depending on weather conditions and moon phases.
The white dot symbolizes the position of the Moon, and the yellow sun symbolizes the position of the sun.
Change time and date
|< 4 weeks||4 weeks >||March equinox|
|< 1 day||1 day >||June solstice|
|< 12 hours||12 hours >||September equinox|
|< 6 hours||6 hours >||December solstice|
|< 1 hour||1 hour >||Now/Current time|
|< 10 minutes||10 minutes >|
- The bright part of the map shows where the moon is over the horizon on Friday, October 12, 2012 at 21:38:00 UTC.
- The Sun's position is marked with this symbol: . At this location, the Sun will be at its zenith (directly overhead) in relation to an observer.
- The Moon's position is marked with this symbol: . At this location, the Moon will be at its zenith in relation to an observer. Note that the symbol is not showing the current phase of the Moon.
Fraction of moon illuminated: 9%
|Previous phase||Third Quarter||Monday, October 8, 2012 at 7:34 AM|
|Next phase||New Moon||Monday, October 15, 2012 at 12:03 PM|
Position of the Moon
On Friday, October 12, 2012 at 21:38:00 UTC the Moon is at its zenith at
The ground speed of the movement is currently 448.28 meters/second, 1613.8 km/hour, 1002.8 miles/hour or 871.4 knots. The table below shows the Moon position compared to the time and date above:
|Time||Longitude difference||Latitude difference||Total|
|1 minute||0° 14' 29.9"||16.71 mi||west||0° 00' 12.3"||0.24 mi||south||16.71 mi|
|1 hour||14° 29' 57.2"||1002.71 mi||west||0° 12' 27.3"||14.26 mi||south||1002.85 mi|
|24 hours||347° 46' 55.8"||844.94 mi||west||5° 02' 41.3"||346.65 mi||south||913.09 mi|
Locations with the moon near zenith
The following table shows 10 locations with moon near zenith position in the sky.
|Tarawa||Sat 9:38 AM||517 km||322 miles||279 nm||W|
|Baker Island||Fri 9:38 AM||666 km||414 miles||360 nm||E|
|Majuro||Sat 9:38 AM||960 km||597 miles||518 nm||NW|
|Funafuti||Sat 9:38 AM||1106 km||687 miles||597 nm||S|
|Yaren||Sat 9:38 AM||1213 km||754 miles||655 nm||W|
|Fakaofo||Sat 10:38 AM||1711 km||1063 miles||924 nm||SE|
|Apia *||Sat 11:38 AM||2046 km||1271 miles||1105 nm||SE|
|Suva||Sat 9:38 AM||2158 km||1341 miles||1165 nm||S|
|Palikir||Sat 8:38 AM||2248 km||1397 miles||1214 nm||WNW|
|Honiara||Sat 8:38 AM||2296 km||1427 miles||1240 nm||WSW|
- Seasons Calculator
- Moon Calculator – Find times for moonrise, moonset and more
- Moon Phase Calculator – Calculate moon phases for any year
- Sunrise Calculator – Find times for sunrise, sunset and more
Related time zone tools
- The World Clock – Current times around the world
- Personal World Clock – Shows just the cities you need
- Meeting Planner – Find a suitable time for an international meeting
- Time Zone Converter – If it is 3 pm in New York, what time is it in Sydney?
- Event Time Announcer/Fixed Time – Show local times worldwide for your event.