Moon Light World Map
The map below shows where the Moon is visible from the Earth, depending on weather conditions and moon phases.
The white dot symbolizes the position of the Moon, and the yellow sun symbolizes the position of the sun.
Change time and date
|< 4 weeks||4 weeks >||March equinox|
|< 1 day||1 day >||June solstice|
|< 12 hours||12 hours >||September equinox|
|< 6 hours||6 hours >||December solstice|
|< 1 hour||1 hour >||Now/Current time|
|< 10 minutes||10 minutes >|
- The bright part of the map shows where the moon is over the horizon on Sunday, October 14, 2012 at 00:02:00 UTC.
- The Sun's position is marked with this symbol: . At this location, the Sun will be at its zenith (directly overhead) in relation to an observer.
- The Moon's position is marked with this symbol: . At this location, the Moon will be at its zenith in relation to an observer. Note that the symbol is not showing the current phase of the Moon.
Fraction of moon illuminated: 3%
|Previous phase||Third Quarter||Monday, October 8, 2012 at 7:34 AM|
|Next phase||New Moon||Monday, October 15, 2012 at 12:03 PM|
Position of the Moon
On Sunday, October 14, 2012 at 00:02:00 UTC the Moon is at its zenith at
The ground speed of the movement is currently 446.58 meters/second, 1607.7 km/hour, 999.0 miles/hour or 868.1 knots. The table below shows the Moon position compared to the time and date above:
|Time||Longitude difference||Latitude difference||Total|
|1 minute||0° 14' 28.6"||16.65 mi||west||0° 00' 12.5"||0.24 mi||south||16.65 mi|
|1 hour||14° 28' 42.7"||998.89 mi||west||0° 12' 37.8"||14.47 mi||south||998.85 mi|
|24 hours||12° 47' 32.9"||882.57 mi||east||4° 56' 51.2"||340.01 mi||south||942.17 mi|
Locations with the moon near zenith
The following table shows 10 locations with moon near zenith position in the sky.
|Arawa||Sun 10:02 AM||231 km||143 miles||125 nm||SSE|
|Gizo||Sun 11:02 AM||473 km||294 miles||256 nm||SSE|
|Honiara||Sun 11:02 AM||789 km||490 miles||426 nm||SE|
|Lae||Sun 10:02 AM||944 km||586 miles||510 nm||WSW|
|Port Moresby||Sun 10:02 AM||1052 km||653 miles||568 nm||SW|
|Palikir||Sun 11:02 AM||1274 km||792 miles||688 nm||NNE|
|Yaren||Sun 12:02 PM||1373 km||853 miles||742 nm||ENE|
|Jayapura||Sun 9:02 AM||1612 km||1001 miles||870 nm||W|
|Cairns||Sun 10:02 AM||1739 km||1080 miles||939 nm||SW|
|Port Vila||Sun 11:02 AM||2077 km||1291 miles||1122 nm||SE|
- Seasons Calculator
- Moon Calculator – Find times for moonrise, moonset and more
- Moon Phase Calculator – Calculate moon phases for any year
- Sunrise Calculator – Find times for sunrise, sunset and more
Related time zone tools
- The World Clock – Current times around the world
- Personal World Clock – Shows just the cities you need
- Meeting Planner – Find a suitable time for an international meeting
- Time Zone Converter – If it is 3 pm in New York, what time is it in Sydney?
- Event Time Announcer/Fixed Time – Show local times worldwide for your event.