Moon Light World Map
The map below shows where the Moon is visible from the Earth, depending on weather conditions and moon phases.
The white dot symbolizes the position of the Moon, and the yellow sun symbolizes the position of the sun.
Change time and date
|< 4 weeks||4 weeks >||March equinox|
|< 1 day||1 day >||June solstice|
|< 12 hours||12 hours >||September equinox|
|< 6 hours||6 hours >||December solstice|
|< 1 hour||1 hour >||Now/Current time|
|< 10 minutes||10 minutes >|
- The bright part of the map shows where the moon is over the horizon on Wednesday, October 17, 2012 at 03:46:00 UTC.
- The Sun's position is marked with this symbol: . At this location, the Sun will be at its zenith (directly overhead) in relation to an observer.
- The Moon's position is marked with this symbol: . At this location, the Moon will be at its zenith in relation to an observer. Note that the symbol is not showing the current phase of the Moon.
Fraction of moon illuminated: 4%
|Previous phase||New Moon||Monday, October 15, 2012 at 12:03 PM|
|Next phase||First Quarter||Monday, October 22, 2012 at 3:32 AM|
Position of the Moon
On Wednesday, October 17, 2012 at 03:46:00 UTC the Moon is at its zenith at
The ground speed of the movement is currently 424.16 meters/second, 1527.0 km/hour, 948.8 miles/hour or 824.5 knots. The table below shows the Moon position compared to the time and date above:
|Time||Longitude difference||Latitude difference||Total|
|1 minute||0° 14' 23.8"||15.81 mi||west||0° 00' 07.4"||0.14 mi||south||15.81 mi|
|1 hour||14° 23' 53.5"||948.53 mi||west||0° 07' 17.5"||8.36 mi||south||948.25 mi|
|24 hours||14° 37' 13.1"||963.16 mi||east||2° 17' 44.0"||157.89 mi||south||969.65 mi|
Locations with the moon near zenith
The following table shows 10 locations with moon near zenith position in the sky.
|Normanton||Wed 1:46 PM||61 km||38 miles||33 nm||W|
|Cairns||Wed 1:46 PM||449 km||279 miles||242 nm||ENE|
|Tennant Creek||Wed 1:16 PM||814 km||506 miles||439 nm||WSW|
|Alice Springs||Wed 1:16 PM||1043 km||648 miles||563 nm||SW|
|Port Moresby||Wed 1:46 PM||1097 km||682 miles||592 nm||NNE|
|Darwin||Wed 1:16 PM||1300 km||808 miles||702 nm||WNW|
|Brisbane||Wed 1:46 PM||1587 km||986 miles||857 nm||SE|
|Jayapura||Wed 12:46 PM||1687 km||1048 miles||911 nm||N|
|Adelaide *||Wed 2:16 PM||1927 km||1197 miles||1040 nm||S|
|Eucla||Wed 12:31 PM||2007 km||1247 miles||1084 nm||SW|
- Seasons Calculator
- Moon Calculator – Find times for moonrise, moonset and more
- Moon Phase Calculator – Calculate moon phases for any year
- Sunrise Calculator – Find times for sunrise, sunset and more
Related time zone tools
- The World Clock – Current times around the world
- Personal World Clock – Shows just the cities you need
- Meeting Planner – Find a suitable time for an international meeting
- Time Zone Converter – If it is 3 pm in New York, what time is it in Sydney?
- Event Time Announcer/Fixed Time – Show local times worldwide for your event.