Moon Light World Map
The map below shows where the Moon is visible from the Earth, depending on weather conditions and moon phases.
The white dot symbolizes the position of the Moon, and the yellow sun symbolizes the position of the sun.
Change time and date
|< 4 weeks||4 weeks >||March equinox|
|< 1 day||1 day >||June solstice|
|< 12 hours||12 hours >||September equinox|
|< 6 hours||6 hours >||December solstice|
|< 1 hour||1 hour >||Now/Current time|
|< 10 minutes||10 minutes >|
- The bright part of the map shows where the moon is over the horizon on Thursday, October 18, 2012 at 03:36:00 UTC.
- The Sun's position is marked with this symbol: . At this location, the Sun will be at its zenith (directly overhead) in relation to an observer.
- The Moon's position is marked with this symbol: . At this location, the Moon will be at its zenith in relation to an observer. Note that the symbol is not showing the current phase of the Moon.
Fraction of moon illuminated: 10%
|Previous phase||New Moon||Monday, October 15, 2012 at 12:04 PM|
|Next phase||First Quarter||Monday, October 22, 2012 at 3:33 AM|
Position of the Moon
On Thursday, October 18, 2012 at 03:36:00 UTC the Moon is at its zenith at
The ground speed of the movement is currently 418.05 meters/second, 1505.0 km/hour, 935.2 miles/hour or 812.6 knots. The table below shows the Moon position compared to the time and date above:
|Time||Longitude difference||Latitude difference||Total|
|1 minute||0° 14' 23.0"||15.59 mi||west||0° 00' 04.1"||0.08 mi||south||15.59 mi|
|1 hour||14° 23' 06.7"||934.85 mi||west||0° 03' 59.5"||4.58 mi||south||934.66 mi|
|24 hours||14° 45' 36.4"||959.20 mi||east||0° 54' 29.9"||62.48 mi||south||958.42 mi|
Locations with the moon near zenith
The following table shows 10 locations with moon near zenith position in the sky.
|Noumea||Thu 2:36 PM||819 km||509 miles||442 nm||ESE|
|Luganville||Thu 2:36 PM||1007 km||626 miles||544 nm||ENE|
|Brisbane||Thu 1:36 PM||1019 km||633 miles||550 nm||SW|
|Port Vila||Thu 2:36 PM||1021 km||635 miles||551 nm||ENE|
|Honiara||Thu 2:36 PM||1179 km||733 miles||637 nm||N|
|Cairns||Thu 1:36 PM||1431 km||889 miles||773 nm||WNW|
|Sydney *||Thu 2:36 PM||1711 km||1063 miles||924 nm||SSW|
|Port Moresby||Thu 1:36 PM||1722 km||1070 miles||930 nm||NW|
|Canberra *||Thu 2:36 PM||1943 km||1208 miles||1049 nm||SSW|
|Suva||Thu 3:36 PM||2061 km||1281 miles||1113 nm||E|
- Seasons Calculator
- Moon Calculator – Find times for moonrise, moonset and more
- Moon Phase Calculator – Calculate moon phases for any year
- Sunrise Calculator – Find times for sunrise, sunset and more
Related time zone tools
- The World Clock – Current times around the world
- Personal World Clock – Shows just the cities you need
- Meeting Planner – Find a suitable time for an international meeting
- Time Zone Converter – If it is 3 pm in New York, what time is it in Sydney?
- Event Time Announcer/Fixed Time – Show local times worldwide for your event.