Moon Light World Map
The map below shows where the Moon is visible from the Earth, depending on weather conditions and moon phases.
The white dot symbolizes the position of the Moon, and the yellow sun symbolizes the position of the sun.
Change time and date
|< 4 weeks||4 weeks >||March equinox|
|< 1 day||1 day >||June solstice|
|< 12 hours||12 hours >||September equinox|
|< 6 hours||6 hours >||December solstice|
|< 1 hour||1 hour >||Now/Current time|
|< 10 minutes||10 minutes >|
- The bright part of the map shows where the moon is over the horizon on Thursday, October 18, 2012 at 03:46:00 UTC.
- The Sun's position is marked with this symbol: . At this location, the Sun will be at its zenith (directly overhead) in relation to an observer.
- The Moon's position is marked with this symbol: . At this location, the Moon will be at its zenith in relation to an observer. Note that the symbol is not showing the current phase of the Moon.
Fraction of moon illuminated: 10%
|Previous phase||New Moon||Monday, October 15, 2012 at 12:03 PM|
|Next phase||First Quarter||Monday, October 22, 2012 at 3:32 AM|
Position of the Moon
On Thursday, October 18, 2012 at 03:46:00 UTC the Moon is at its zenith at
The ground speed of the movement is currently 418.02 meters/second, 1504.9 km/hour, 935.1 miles/hour or 812.6 knots. The table below shows the Moon position compared to the time and date above:
|Time||Longitude difference||Latitude difference||Total|
|1 minute||0° 14' 23.0"||15.59 mi||west||0° 00' 04.0"||0.08 mi||south||15.59 mi|
|1 hour||14° 23' 06.5"||934.84 mi||west||0° 03' 57.8"||4.55 mi||south||934.65 mi|
|24 hours||14° 45' 35.0"||959.16 mi||east||0° 53' 49.8"||61.72 mi||south||958.37 mi|
Locations with the moon near zenith
The following table shows 10 locations with moon near zenith position in the sky.
|Brisbane||Thu 1:46 PM||885 km||550 miles||478 nm||SSW|
|Noumea||Thu 2:46 PM||1085 km||674 miles||586 nm||ESE|
|Cairns||Thu 1:46 PM||1161 km||721 miles||627 nm||WNW|
|Honiara||Thu 2:46 PM||1241 km||771 miles||670 nm||NNE|
|Port Vila||Thu 2:46 PM||1295 km||805 miles||699 nm||E|
|Port Moresby||Thu 1:46 PM||1526 km||948 miles||824 nm||NW|
|Sydney *||Thu 2:46 PM||1610 km||1000 miles||869 nm||SSW|
|Canberra *||Thu 2:46 PM||1827 km||1135 miles||986 nm||SSW|
|Melbourne *||Thu 2:46 PM||2251 km||1399 miles||1216 nm||SSW|
|Suva||Thu 3:46 PM||2340 km||1454 miles||1263 nm||E|
- Seasons Calculator
- Moon Calculator – Find times for moonrise, moonset and more
- Moon Phase Calculator – Calculate moon phases for any year
- Sunrise Calculator – Find times for sunrise, sunset and more
Related time zone tools
- The World Clock – Current times around the world
- Personal World Clock – Shows just the cities you need
- Meeting Planner – Find a suitable time for an international meeting
- Time Zone Converter – If it is 3 pm in New York, what time is it in Sydney?
- Event Time Announcer/Fixed Time – Show local times worldwide for your event.