Moon Light World Map
The map below shows where the Moon is visible from the Earth, depending on weather conditions and moon phases.
The white dot symbolizes the position of the Moon, and the yellow sun symbolizes the position of the sun.
Change time and date
|< 4 weeks||4 weeks >||March equinox|
|< 1 day||1 day >||June solstice|
|< 12 hours||12 hours >||September equinox|
|< 6 hours||6 hours >||December solstice|
|< 1 hour||1 hour >||Now/Current time|
|< 10 minutes||10 minutes >|
- The bright part of the map shows where the moon is over the horizon on Thursday, October 18, 2012 at 03:46:00 UTC.
- The Sun's position is marked with this symbol: . At this location, the Sun will be at its zenith (directly overhead) in relation to an observer.
- The Moon's position is marked with this symbol: . At this location, the Moon will be at its zenith in relation to an observer. Note that the symbol is not showing the current phase of the Moon.
Fraction of moon illuminated: 10%
|Previous phase||New Moon||Monday, October 15, 2012 at 12:04 PM|
|Next phase||First Quarter||Monday, October 22, 2012 at 3:33 AM|
Position of the Moon
On Thursday, October 18, 2012 at 03:46:00 UTC the Moon is at its zenith at
The ground speed of the movement is currently 418.02 meters/second, 1504.9 km/hour, 935.1 miles/hour or 812.6 knots. The table below shows the Moon position compared to the time and date above:
|Time||Longitude difference||Latitude difference||Total|
|1 minute||0° 14' 23.0"||15.58 mi||west||0° 00' 04.0"||0.08 mi||south||15.58 mi|
|1 hour||14° 23' 06.6"||934.78 mi||west||0° 03' 58.0"||4.55 mi||south||934.59 mi|
|24 hours||14° 45' 35.2"||959.10 mi||east||0° 53' 53.9"||61.80 mi||south||958.31 mi|
Locations with the moon near zenith
The following table shows 10 locations with moon near zenith position in the sky.
|Brisbane||Thu 1:46 PM||896 km||556 miles||484 nm||SSW|
|Noumea||Thu 2:46 PM||1058 km||658 miles||571 nm||ESE|
|Cairns||Thu 1:46 PM||1187 km||738 miles||641 nm||WNW|
|Honiara||Thu 2:46 PM||1232 km||765 miles||665 nm||NNE|
|Port Vila||Thu 2:46 PM||1267 km||788 miles||684 nm||E|
|Port Moresby||Thu 1:46 PM||1544 km||960 miles||834 nm||NW|
|Sydney *||Thu 2:46 PM||1618 km||1005 miles||874 nm||SSW|
|Canberra *||Thu 2:46 PM||1837 km||1142 miles||992 nm||SSW|
|Melbourne *||Thu 2:46 PM||2264 km||1407 miles||1223 nm||SSW|
|Suva||Thu 3:46 PM||2312 km||1437 miles||1248 nm||E|
- Seasons Calculator
- Moon Calculator – Find times for moonrise, moonset and more
- Moon Phase Calculator – Calculate moon phases for any year
- Sunrise Calculator – Find times for sunrise, sunset and more
Related time zone tools
- The World Clock – Current times around the world
- Personal World Clock – Shows just the cities you need
- Meeting Planner – Find a suitable time for an international meeting
- Time Zone Converter – If it is 3 pm in New York, what time is it in Sydney?
- Event Time Announcer/Fixed Time – Show local times worldwide for your event.