Moon Light World Map
The map below shows where the Moon is visible from the Earth, depending on weather conditions and moon phases.
The white dot symbolizes the position of the Moon, and the yellow sun symbolizes the position of the sun.
Change time and date
|< 4 weeks||4 weeks >||March equinox|
|< 1 day||1 day >||June solstice|
|< 12 hours||12 hours >||September equinox|
|< 6 hours||6 hours >||December solstice|
|< 1 hour||1 hour >||Now/Current time|
|< 10 minutes||10 minutes >|
- The bright part of the map shows where the moon is over the horizon on Thursday, October 18, 2012 at 04:36:00 UTC.
- The Sun's position is marked with this symbol: . At this location, the Sun will be at its zenith (directly overhead) in relation to an observer.
- The Moon's position is marked with this symbol: . At this location, the Moon will be at its zenith in relation to an observer. Note that the symbol is not showing the current phase of the Moon.
Fraction of moon illuminated: 10%
|Previous phase||New Moon||Monday, October 15, 2012 at 12:03 PM|
|Next phase||First Quarter||Monday, October 22, 2012 at 3:32 AM|
Position of the Moon
On Thursday, October 18, 2012 at 04:36:00 UTC the Moon is at its zenith at
The ground speed of the movement is currently 417.87 meters/second, 1504.3 km/hour, 934.7 miles/hour or 812.3 knots. The table below shows the Moon position compared to the time and date above:
|Time||Longitude difference||Latitude difference||Total|
|1 minute||0° 14' 23.0"||15.58 mi||west||0° 00' 03.8"||0.07 mi||south||15.58 mi|
|1 hour||14° 23' 05.9"||934.49 mi||west||0° 03' 50.5"||4.40 mi||south||934.31 mi|
|24 hours||14° 45' 27.5"||958.69 mi||east||0° 50' 49.6"||58.28 mi||south||957.83 mi|
Locations with the moon near zenith
The following table shows 10 locations with moon near zenith position in the sky.
|Cairns||Thu 2:36 PM||387 km||240 miles||209 nm||NNE|
|Alice Springs||Thu 2:06 PM||1146 km||712 miles||619 nm||WSW|
|Brisbane||Thu 2:36 PM||1207 km||750 miles||652 nm||SE|
|Port Moresby||Thu 2:36 PM||1220 km||758 miles||659 nm||NNE|
|Darwin||Thu 2:06 PM||1666 km||1035 miles||899 nm||WNW|
|Sydney *||Thu 3:36 PM||1671 km||1038 miles||902 nm||SSE|
|Adelaide *||Thu 3:06 PM||1735 km||1078 miles||937 nm||SSW|
|Canberra *||Thu 3:36 PM||1747 km||1086 miles||943 nm||SSE|
|Melbourne *||Thu 3:36 PM||1963 km||1220 miles||1060 nm||S|
|Jayapura||Thu 1:36 PM||1982 km||1232 miles||1070 nm||NNW|
- Seasons Calculator
- Moon Calculator – Find times for moonrise, moonset and more
- Moon Phase Calculator – Calculate moon phases for any year
- Sunrise Calculator – Find times for sunrise, sunset and more
Related time zone tools
- The World Clock – Current times around the world
- Personal World Clock – Shows just the cities you need
- Meeting Planner – Find a suitable time for an international meeting
- Time Zone Converter – If it is 3 pm in New York, what time is it in Sydney?
- Event Time Announcer/Fixed Time – Show local times worldwide for your event.